Bond Futures

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by spreadem, Jun 19, 2003.

1. I was a moderator 'cause I'm such a nice guy :p

#31     Jun 24, 2003
  2. The Bond future is one of the best games in town. Good luck old boy.

#32     Jun 24, 2003
  3. Profit or Prophet?

Either way there's money to be made on the inflections of either.

Pick your poisons mate.

:)

Dr. Zhivodka

#33     Jun 24, 2003
  4. Are you currently long or short?

#34     Jun 25, 2003
  5. Definitely.

#35     Jun 25, 2003
  6. Zboy,

It's an interesting concept, but pure fallacy. Let's revisit history meaning in the last 20 + yrs. The long bond was well below 100 & yielding 14 - 15% in the late 70s or early 80s, I dont remember exactly as I was only a teen. The stock market, we'll use the DOW for comparison was also below 1000 @ this time.

In 1982 it broke & stayed above 1000, & thus was born the BULL of the 80s, & 90s. @ the same time the bond began an upward move, & still is? So until 2000 when equities began to decline, hadn't both bonds & stocks been in a 20 yr. upward cycle together? It would appear so to me.

God Bless & GFtY! Kelly

#36     Jun 25, 2003

7. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no current position. I'm waiting for a break below 118 to confirm a retracement, in which case I'll go short with a break even stop and a target of 112 to 113. If it can't break 118, I'd wait for a break above the high of 123 to go long. For me, until one of the two happens it's no mans land, since I look for swing positions and don't bother with trading wiggles.

#37     Jun 25, 2003
  8. chessman

chessman Guest

Its interesting all you boys trading Bonds, I find 10 Yr Notes much smoother, I think notes responds better to trend following trading system. However bonds are probably better if you're a chart reader.

ps. regarding the comment about boys trading bonds, I think spreadem you're a guy? I can't imagine a woman with a handle like 'spreadem' :D

#38     Jun 25, 2003
  9. Chessman,

I can't imagine a woman with a handle like "chessman" ... uh ... hmm.

Anyway, I agree that notes are smoother and bonds are more volatile. I like the volatility.

A couple of days ago I called my shot. I mentioned that I expected the bonds to top out at 120.5 and complete the right shoulder of a head and shoulder top. I am now short a Sept Bond contract at 120.5. Let's see what happens.

#39     Jun 25, 2003
  10. chessman

chessman Guest

Spreadem,

Ok, I see what you mean by head n' shoulders top formation. Yes, if the bonds break the neckline at 118 its all over.

I am long the Tnotes, covered 1/2 position earlier today, the rest stop at 118'20. sweating out the fed here.

I trade off 60 min charts, find that a 10 period ma works best. I use that for entry, then use pivot points for stop management.

Are you primarily a chart reader?

Just curious if you look at 10, 5 and 2 year notes as well to guage overall mkt direction?

#40     Jun 25, 2003