Bond ETFs for income

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Muffhands, Apr 16, 2018.

1. The
    the “dividend” for a few of the bigger bond ETFs weren’t cut in the recession of 2008-2009... I think that says a lot

#51     May 17, 2018
  2. sss12

sss12

Meaningless when it comes to HY. it is all about credit risk. For the most part energy HY is about exploration and fracking. Price of WTI drops, so does this subsector.

#52     May 17, 2018
  3. Jnk( high yield corporate bond fund) top holdings are hca (healthcare) , CCo (telecom), Valeant (pharma), sprint (telecom), tennet (healthcare), t mobile (telecom), dish... where again is the energy exposure?....

#53     May 17, 2018
  4. sss12

sss12

Ok my last response.

LOL, those companies represent less than .50 % positions. Yes , that is less than 50 BP.

Per Morningstar institutional reports...65% energy...22%indust
    2 stares out of 5
    4th quintile performer
    It has actually UNDER PERFORMED the Barclay HY INDEX by 200 bp (2%) per year for the life of the fund.

Didn't think it was this bad, more I look into it the worse it gets, sorry.

Tell your family friend to root for oil and hope the Fed will stop pushing the short end of the curve up.(vcsh)

To be constructive: look at HYLS. higher fees but excellent management team, also has a short position in UST. Might be a good addition, different sectors and hedging rates. Possibly move some of what you have, and run with 33% each.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    #54     May 17, 2018
  5. Those positions are the top 10 holdings and constitute over 15% of the fund .... and jnk has only underperformed the index it seeks to track by 0.61%... where are you getting this information?... I am using ishares website...

#55     May 17, 2018
  6. sss12

sss12

Re read my post. Gave my source and tried to be helpful. Take what you want, leave what you don't.

Good luck, the best investors know when to adjust a position that may not be what they originally thought.

For a great example of this search Carl Icahn's reversal of his initial short positions after the Trump victory.

#56     May 17, 2018
  7. sss12

sss12

@Muffhands did you post files of HYG ?...thought you owned JNK. Anyway good look, I believe they are both index weighted

#57     May 17, 2018
  8. Those are screenshots of JNK.

#58     May 18, 2018
  9. Are you sure? The green box of the screen shots says "HYG", not "JNK".

#59     May 18, 2018
  10. sss12

sss12

Live by the phone...die by the phone. Good ATT signal though !

#60     May 18, 2018