Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BSAM, Jun 6, 2007.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Lots of good feedback coming in here, but I want to point out something. There seems to be support for taking the egg and immediately running cool water on it while peeling.

However, for those like me, I don't want to boil just one egg at a time. I like to boil at least 6 at a time. So, that would be "cool" for the first one, but I wouldn't want to peel the rest until they were to be eaten. So, those would go into the refrigerator for later. Thus, the other five, I guess I would just have to deal with!?! Some things in life are just tough, huh?? ;-)

#41     Jun 7, 2007
  2. BSAM

BSAM

.....Also, are we coming to a consensus that 12 minutes is the optimal boiling time?

#42     Jun 7, 2007
  3. Aha, thats what pickling is for!
    Just simmer up some vinegar (brown , white, either or with a dash of balsamic-i actually dont know why they insist on boiling it) , throw in your favourite spices/sauces, (soy sauce is great, tobasco, barbq) and your good to go for instant hard boiled eggs for a month!

Of course, they start falling apart the longer you leave them, but that just lets more flavour in-cant lose:)

I would have thought, boiling for 12 minutes would be too long-but its just occured to me, i havent pickled them after cooking that long.
    Wonder if they would hold up better, or worse? Must try that.
    I just figured im trying to cook eggs, not make golf balls.

#43     Jun 8, 2007
  4. I can't believe a thread about hardboiled eggs got this many replies. Anyway, I do weight training and used to eat 10 a day, so I am a credible source on this matter. After cooking and peeling hundreds and hundreds of hardboiled eggs (and I had the blisters to prove it), I can say that the only thing that makes it easier to peel is to cook them EXACTLY the right length of time. If you go over, it will be hard to peel because the membrane becomes sticky. If you go under, they will be mushy and collapse. Running them under cold water just after cooking will help very little -- it's still important to cook them right. And those peeling gadgets don't work.

I can peel more eggs per minute than anyone! :D

But these days I just buy egg whites in a carton.. screw the peeling.

#44     Jun 8, 2007
  5. JayS

JayS

• egg.gif
      File size:
      80.4 KB
      Views:
    #45     Jun 8, 2007
  6. #46     Jun 8, 2007
  7. Do tell, devilled-eggs-trader, what this magical figure might be.

Dont you mean an "in" credible source? (like the hulk, yeah lame pun, what ya gonna do)
    Id have thought, from an athletic perspective, hard boiled would be the worst possible nutritional value from said egg, how does that work?
    Not eating the yolk is like, throwing away the liver of game, its just.....not as tasty, ultimately.

#47     Jun 8, 2007
  8. I barely kept from spitting my coffee all over my monitor. Good start to the day. Thanks Nutmeg.

#48     Jun 8, 2007
  9. After much trial and error, this is the same method I use and I rarely find an egg that gives me trouble. Out of a dozen, I might get one that gives me a headache.

FYI - for those of you that are hearty egg eaters, there are certain brands that are fortified with Omega 3, Fiber, Vitamin E, etc. They are more expensive, but if you eat a ton like I do, it is worth the extra cost to look into these.

http://www.4grain.com/products.html

#49     Jun 8, 2007
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

running water ..thats the only way i can get them perfect every time...

#50     Jun 8, 2007