Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BSAM, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

peel them while still hot under running water...and you will see your avg of perfect peeled eggs increase dramatically.....

#21     Jun 7, 2007
  2. Who knew that ET had such a legion of eggsistentialists? It's about time that you guys came out of your shells.

#22     Jun 7, 2007
  3. Boiled eggs seem to be a hit around here. I've got this down to a science. The egg must boil for 12 minutes. That's 12 minutes after the water starts boiling. I then immediately run cold water over the egg for 1 minute. Then comes the tricky part...cracking the shell. I tap the shell once on the counter, rotate 180 degrees and tap again. Then I tap on each end. The first peel in crucial. You must get that little bit of film to come up with the shell. After that, it's all good.
    Yes, I am that anal.:D

#23     Jun 7, 2007
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Do you start out with the burner on the highest setting, then notch it down after the water starts boiling? Or do you use the same setting for the complete 12 minute boiling cycle?

#24     Jun 7, 2007
  5. Assuming your not f'n with me.:D I have the burner on at about 3/4 the entire time, pre-boil to end.

#25     Jun 7, 2007
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Yep. Warm eggs peel much better than cold ones. But they keep a longer if you keep them in the shell.

#26     Jun 7, 2007
  7. TGregg

TGregg

She doesn't exactly hold the chicken over the pot waiting on fresh eggs, if that's what you mean. But they are well within the sell-by date on the carton.

BTW it's not fresh eggs that don't peel well, it's ones that are practically still warm:
    http://www.goodegg.com/boiledegg.html

#27     Jun 7, 2007
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Thanks for posting. I wanted to understand what you were trying to say. Variable temps, I assume, could possibly make a difference.

#28     Jun 7, 2007
  9. "From "A Pageant of Hats, Ancient and Modern," by Ruch Edwards Kilgour, copyright 1958: "It was regarded as natural that any chef, worthy of the name, could cook an egg at least one hundred ways."

Yikes, I think we might be able to cook a hard boiled egg 100 different ways. :D

#29     Jun 7, 2007
  10. promagma

promagma

Excellent link, everybody bookmark this ....

Yes I am referring to my experience with very fresh eggs, farmer's market style.

#30     Jun 7, 2007