Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BSAM, Jun 6, 2007.

1. BSAM

BSAM

So, what do you want, a fresh egg???

#11     Jun 7, 2007
  2. BSAM

BSAM

I'm not sure I'm with you on this "fresh egg" theory. The first six I boiled had mixed results. According to their freshness, shouldn't they have all peeled the same way?

#12     Jun 7, 2007
  3. I propose an shell index, arbed against the Dow, nothing random here. We have freshness, cooking times, cooling times, type of pots, type of water, Wall Mart eggs booyah!! vs a real Farm egg. Ah yes, egg derivatives MCD egg in a bag, breakfast egg. Whazzup with those hospital "get well" eggs?

Stay tuned......

#13     Jun 7, 2007
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmmm......Let me make a quick post before I finish this delicious snack. The first one peeled (on a scale of ten) at about a seven. The second one peeled at about a six.

Get 'em peeled, sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Man, I got a late night feast here!

#14     Jun 7, 2007
  5. Lol. :D 20 minutes is some extreme egg boiling, i thought 5-6 min does nicely.

Ive had best results peeling at refrigerated temperature, lightly belting them with the back of a spoon around the longitudinal and widest horizontal axis, until the shell in those areas is thoroughly pulverised.
    If a decent point can be found, peeling around the middle first and then sort of "squeezing" the egg from both ends produces the best results.

Unfortunately, it only seems to be better than any other method by about 5 percent, so probably a waste of time:D

I happen to know this, because im quite partial to the occasional pickled egg, in vinegar with cayenne pepper, paprika, and unhealthy amounts of worscestershire & tobasco sauce.

#15     Jun 7, 2007
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Hey---Live hard/Die young!?!:D

#16     Jun 7, 2007
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Okay.....Peeled another one. My dog was demanding one. This one peeled worse than the other two. About a 4 or 5 on the ten scale. So, results do vary under seemingly same conditions. (Maybe boiling eggs really is like trading.)

#17     Jun 7, 2007
  8. Heh, thats why its the "occasional" pickled egg:)
    Did you try the "quartered pulver-gription" method i outlined?
    (its actually called that)

#18     Jun 7, 2007
  9. Goddamn, now I want a boiled egg. You guys are making me hungry.

A Frosty would be good too.

Anyone had thousand year old eggs? A Chinese delicacy, duck eggs preserved by some ungodly process that turns the yolk green and the white a deep caramel color. They're an acquired taste. But at least they're easy to peel.

Martin

#19     Jun 7, 2007
  10. tradingod

tradingod

The key to proper poached eggs that hold their shape is adding vinegar to the water

#20     Jun 7, 2007