Bobby Fisher Against the World

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Aren't there something like a trillion different possible arrangements of the pieces in chess? The creativity could never be gone! No human has time to memorize so many combinations. Not by a long shot.

#31     Jun 21, 2011
  2. Just saw this movie over the weekend and thought it was very good.

It was pretty cool to hear about "game 6" in the world championships and how, even Spassky, applauded Fischer.

I also thought the scene towards the end where he's talking with Jeremy Schaap is pretty brutal - it's almost like he fully realizes how crazy he is, and he just can't do anything about it. Pretty sad story all in all.

#32     Jun 27, 2011
  3. 1 min Blitz is fun indeed.. ruins some of your long game skills. High speed war tactics... Attack & run like a hell.

#33     Jun 27, 2011
  4. as678

as678

Wow, people play 1 min chess games? Never would have guessed.

#34     Jun 27, 2011
  5. nitro

nitro

Yep.

Make the rule for the starting position, the black King and Queen are switched. It is hard to believe that the simplicity and yet incredible consequences have eluded people. Yet I have never seen it.

Think about the ramifications of this. Chess would be almost identical to the way it is now, but it would be way more exciting (why?) and lots of opening theory would go out the window. The "Sicilian Defense" would now be 1. D4 F5, but it would be many times deadlier for black.

#35     Jul 7, 2011
  6. nitro

nitro

I have a new idea as to how to make Chess even more interesting. One major difference between chess and poker, bridge, trading and even war is that chess does not contain what mathematicians terms "information uncertainty". My proposal is to add this element to chess in the following way.

At the beginning of the game, the players secretly write down on a piece of paper the name of the piece that will be their Spy for the game. The only pieces that cannot be the Spy are the Queen or a pawn. They put the name of this piece that will be the Spy on paper in a sealed envelope. The role of the spy is simple. At any point in the game, each player can remove the piece of paper from the envelope and choose the option to change the position of the Spy and the King. This can only happen once per game per player. The Spy and the King can be switched, but only if the Spy and the King lie on a path where the piece that is designated the Spy can move to the square the king is on. So it is s weird kind of castling, but it is far more dynamic, and the choice of which piece is the Spy is kept secret. For one move if this choice is taken, the King moves like the Spy. if the Spy is captured, you lose the option, but the player does not have to disclose the Spy was captured.

I think this would be really interesting!

#36     Nov 14, 2011