Bobby Fisher Against the World

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Jun 12, 2011.

1. by deep thinking do you mean the ability to prune unimportant nodes as a chess engine does?

#11     Jun 13, 2011
  2. nitro

nitro

Deep thinking meaning understanding a problem or goal and knowing as much about it and understanding it. Most peoples intellectual life is spent pondering the surface of a sea, never diving underneath to the vast ocean and complexity that lay below.

It is hard to give an example other than in mathematics where the level of creativity required is immense. There is no endeavor quite like it because you are always in undiscovered country when you are doing research mathematics. Deepness in mathematics is deeper than anywhere else.

In Chess, there is deepness while playing, analyzing variations, etc. And then there is the deepness of the theory itself, and learning it takes many many many years of hard study.

Sometimes something simple can be incredibly deep. For example, the math to Rubiks Cube is deep. Diophantine Equations are very simple to state and look like childs play, but the theory of solving them in general is fantastically deep and is thousands of years old.

How hard you haved to calculate doesn't make the subject matter deep by itself. Chess is deep because of its immense solution space and that solution space can be compressed by theory, but mathematics is infinitely deeper because of the infinite problems that are interesting. Tic Tac Toe is not deep because it can be understood in an afternoon.

#12     Jun 13, 2011
  3. Deep thinking meaning understanding a problem or goal and knowing as much about it and understanding it.

I don't believe that most of us are capable of deep thinking the way you define it.

many are capable of occasional brilliance that is probably due to several distant neurons spontaneously talking to each other (or whatever happens in the brain during thinking). but they don't necessarily have deep understanding of the problem at hand. actually, i bet they don't typically. it is just a lucky moment when they suddenly see the solution and they may never in their life solve another similar problem.

#13     Jun 13, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

It's interesting to note that many geniuses are crazy. One could argue this could be that that their mind is so fully concentrated on one thing that all other areas of the mind grow weak or undeveloped. I've made this same argument with people who are very passionate about something in their life...say trading. They become so devoted to one thing that they ignore all other areas of their life.

#14     Jun 13, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysF5kLquyqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer.

#15     Jun 13, 2011
  6. If that were true, he would've had other contributions to the world other than chess.

#16     Jun 13, 2011
  7. damn, we don't have HBO. It will take forever for Netflix to get it.

As a kid I idealized Bobby Fischer. When Fischer was 9 years old, he would wake up at 5AM, practice chess for 2 hours before going to school. by the time he turned 12 nobody could beat him.

I have been to and played chess at the Manhattan chess club where he 'grew' up. If you are a chess fan and ever visit NYC, Manhattan chess club is a must visit. The walls are ordained with Fischer memoribilia.

Have you guys read Frank Bradys End Game? It is probably the best book about Fischer.

Here is an excerpt:

Poor Bobby was blessed and cursed by his genius, and his story has the arc of a Greek tragedy---with a grim touch of mad King Lear at the end.

The brain power and concentrated days and nights Bobby spent studying the game left much of him undeveloped, unable to join conversations on other subjects. Later in his life, unhappy with his limited knowledge of things beyond the chess board, he compensated with massive study---applying that same hard-butt dedication to other fields: politics, classics, religion, philosophy and more. He found a hide-away nook in a Reykjavic bookstore---barred from his homeland, Iceland had welcomed him back---where he read in marathon sessions. (After he was recognized, he never went back to his cozy cul de sac.)

In Brady’s telling the high drama of the Spassky match quickens the pulse; the contest that made America a chess-crazed land was seen by more people than the Superbowl. People skipped school and played sick in vast numbers, glued to watching Shelby Lyman explain what was happening. The fanaticism was worldwide. The match was seen as a Cold War event, with the time out of mind chess-ruling Russian bear vanquished.

Arguably the best known man on the planet at his triumphant peak, Bobby is later seen in this account riding buses in Los Angeles, able to pay his rent in a dump of an apartment only because his mother sent him her social-security checks. The details of all this are stranger than fiction, as is nearly everything in the life of this much-rewarded, much-tortured genius.

I liked him immensely, knowing only the tall, broad-shouldered, athletically strong and handsome six-foot-something articulate and yes, witty, youth that Bobby was before the evil times set in, with deranged anti-Semitic outbursts and other mental strangeness preceding his too early end at age 64.

I can’t ever forget the moment on the show when in amiable conversation I asked him what, in chess, corresponded to the thrill in another sort of event; like, say, hitting a homer in baseball. He said it was the moment when you “break the other guy’s ego.” There was a shocked murmur from the audience and the quote went around the world.

#17     Jun 13, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

See Bearmountain's post.

#18     Jun 13, 2011
  9. Pimp!

www.letmewatchthis.com should hook you up.

Click on 'documentaries' and search.

peace

s1.0

#19     Jun 13, 2011
  10. Fischer was delusional so it is hard to trust all his statements.

Could he have achieved success in another field? - Likely
    World #1 in another field? - Unlikely

#20     Jun 13, 2011