Bobby Fischer dies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jan 18, 2008.

1. cmaxb

cmaxb

omg! Hitler's back.

#11     Jan 19, 2008
  2. what would trash a non-diabetic man's kidneys by age of 64?

#12     Jan 19, 2008
  3. i don't find this funny, and i appreciate it that you don't reference ME in your racist posts. thank you.

#13     Jan 19, 2008
  4. nitro

nitro

#14     Jan 19, 2008
  5. Predictable that the wackos would emerge from their holes and claim this as a reason to beat the Anti-Semitic drum.

Shortly after I became interested in chess, I bought 'My 60 Memorable Games' and started to play through them. It was stunning to see the clarity of Fischer's game unfolding on the board in front of me. His opponents were of the highest calibre, men who had devoted their lives to the game. He dismantled them as if they were patzers playing on a public table in some park.

Genius and insanity are often two sides of the same coin. I don't care what he was like in his personal life. He was the greatest genius of chess in history.

#15     Jan 19, 2008
  6. nitro

nitro

The Game of the Century, and Fischer's own favorite of his own games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_of_the_Century_(chess)

Played by a 13 year old kid. A game of this magnitude may never be equaled by another 13 year old, ever. It is hard to describe by analogy the depth of this game to someone who doesn't understand chess. This is Beethovens ninth symphony, Mozarts Jupiter symphony, Einsteins General Theory of Relativity, Galois group theory, DaVincis Sistine Chapel Ceiling, all by a thirteen year old.

nitro

#16     Jan 19, 2008

7. It’s a 64k question

#17     Jan 19, 2008
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

For the record, Fischer's biological father was the Hungarian born Paul Nemenyi, who worked on the Manhattan project. Also a Jew, thus making Fischer Jewish on both sides of his lineage...

---------------------------------

"Paul Felix Nemenyi was a Hungarian physicist specializing in fluid dynamics. He obtained the D.Sc. in Berlin in 1922 and lectured on engineering at the Technical University of Berlin.[1] Sacked when the Nazis came to power, he found work for a time in Copenhagen.

He arrived in the USA around the outbreak of World War II, where he briefly held a number of teaching positions in succession and took part in hydraulic research at the State University of Iowa.[2]. In 1941 he was appointed instructor at the University of Colorado, and in 1944 at the State College of Washington.[3]

During World War II he was also employed on the Manhattan Project. In 1947 he was appointed physicist with the Naval Ordnance Laboratory, White Oak, Maryland.[4]

He died on March 1, 1952, at the age of 56.

He has been described as having “extreme[ly] versatile interests and erudition”.[5]

He was identified in a 2002 story in The Philadelphia Inquirer as the likely biological father of chess champion Bobby Fischer."

#18     Jan 19, 2008
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Asprin, Tylonol, Ibuprofen etc etc. More people die from the long term use of NSAIDs each year than any from all narcotic OD's combined. Kidney stones call also cause failure, many famous historical figures have died this way. Too much booze, the list goes on.

#19     Jan 19, 2008
  10. nitro

nitro

Here is the best article I have ever seen on the history of the Fischer family.

http://www.chessmaniac.com/Bobby_Fischer/Bobby_Fischer_Articles35.shtm

It makes for fascinating reading.

nitro

#20     Jan 20, 2008