Bob McDonnell Leaves Out Slavery From 'Confederate History Month' Proclamation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Apr 7, 2010.

1. You think you are winning by defending slave states of the confederacy...

#11     Apr 7, 2010
  2. If you think I'm wrong in my assertions, you are welcome to make your case.

#12     Apr 7, 2010
  3. Uhhh, you make unsupported assertions and then expect someone to make a case against them?

Typical...

#13     Apr 7, 2010
  4. Sounds like you have given up optional.

Good for you because you know that, you lost the moment I posted.

#14     Apr 7, 2010
  5. Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's apologized on Wednesday for declaring April as "Confederate History Month," but failing to mention slavery anywhere in his proclamation.

"The proclamation issued by this Office designating April as Confederate History Month contained a major omission. The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed," McDonnell said in a statement.

The newly-minted GOP governor added: "The Confederate History Month proclamation issued was solely intended to promote the study of our history, encourage tourism in our state in advance of the 150th Anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, and recognize Virginia's unique role in the story of America."

But earlier, McDonnell told the Washington Post that slavery was not "significant" enough to be included in the proclamation:

McDonnell said Tuesday that the move was designed to promote tourism in the state, which next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. McDonnell said he did not include a reference to slavery because "there were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia."

Though the declaration of "Confederate History Month" in Virginia is not a new idea, McDonnell's recent Democratic predecessors chose not to recognize the celebration. Prior proclamations have also been more careful about the sensitive nature of the historical period.

Former Republican Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore explicitly mentioned slavery in his 1999 declaration of "Confederate History Month," and though his predecessor, Republican George Allen, neglected to recognize slavery in a similar proclamation, he apologized after coming under heavy fire from civil rights activists.

According to the Washington Post, McDonnell's proclamation was initially condemned by the NAACP, the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus and former Virginia Gov. Former L. Douglas Wilder, the first African American to be elected Governor, among others. And there were more condemnations on Wednesday.

Before McDonnell issued his apology, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, which endorsed McDonnell during his run for Governor, published a harsh rebuke of the wording in McDonnell's proclamation:

"McDonnell speaks of shared history, yet does not cite slaves. Southern heritage includes not only those who supported the Confederacy but those who welcomed the Union armies as liberators.

"McDonnell recognizes that the past must be interpreted within the context not only of its times but of ours. The inexcusable omission reduces the slaves and their descendants to invisibility once again."

Democrat Sheila Johnson, co-founder of Black Entertainment Television and a supporter and major contributor to McDonnell during the gubernatorial campaign condemned the proclamation:

"I must condemn Governor McDonnell's Proclamation honoring 'Confederate History Month,' and its insensitive disregard of Virginia's complicated and painful history, the remnants of which many Virginians still wrestle with today.

"The complete omission of slavery from an official government document, which purports to be a call for Virginians to 'understand' and 'study' their history, is both academically flawed and personally offensive. If Virginians are to celebrate their 'shared history,' as this proclamation suggests, then the whole truth of this history must be recognized and not evaded."

DNC Chairman Tim Kaine also released a statement in response to McDonnell's initial failure to acknowledge slavery:

"Governor McDonnell's decision to designate April as Confederate History Month without condemning, or even acknowledging, the pernicious stain of slavery or its role in the war disregards history, is insensitive to the extraordinary efforts of Americans to eliminate slavery and bind the nation's wounds, and offends millions of Americans of all races and in all parts of our nation.

"In recent years, Virginia has broken the back of segregation, become the first state in America to elect an African-American governor, passed a unanimous General Assembly resolution expressing profound regret for "the most horrendous of all depredations of human rights and violations of our founding ideals in our nation's history, and cast its electoral votes for President Obama. Neither America nor Virginians want to go backward.

"A failure to acknowledge the central role of slavery in the Confederacy and deeming insignificant the reprehensible transgression of moral standards of liberty and equality that slavery represented is simply not acceptable in the America of the 21st century."

#15     Apr 7, 2010

6. The Confederacy and the Civil War was about much more than slavery and unfortunately it has been sold as being almost exclusively about this detail vs the philosophical change in unrestricted centralization of govt power.

#16     Apr 7, 2010
  7. Yes, this too happened in the state of Virginia, not too long ago. In this case the Federal government has to make up for mistakes that discriminatory local federal employee(s) had caused. Too often, when a conservative or tea party activist say that the federal government is the problem, they are often neglecting to look themselves in the mirror.
    [​IMG]

But Black Wednesday was not an artifact of the '50s. This was the America of the '80s and '90s, and in 1994, the USDA itself commissioned a review of the treatment of minorities in its Farm Service Agency programs. The commission's study found that "minorities received less than their fair share of USDA money for crop payments, disaster payments, and loans."

The result was a massive class-action lawsuit, Pigford v. Glickman, which the USDA settled out of court in 1999, admitting to widespread racial discrimination against black farmers in its loan programs between 1981 and 1996. About 15,000 farmers were paid a total of more than $900 million in the settlement. But tens of thousands of farmers filed claims after the deadline, and many charged that the government's outreach had been insufficient, causing them to miss their opportunity.

In February 2010, President Obama and Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack promised an additional $1.15 billion to cover the remaining claims, but the story doesn't end there. The settlement agreement mandated that Congress appropriate the funds by March 31 of this year. The deadline came and went with no action by Congress, and so the future of the settlement remains in limbo.
    http://nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/crs/RS20430.pdf

#17     Apr 8, 2010
  8. sounds like bullshit to me.

#18     Apr 8, 2010
  9. jem

jem

Is it just me or is zzz showing his hatred of white people on this thread?

#19     Apr 8, 2010
  10. And, don't forget: 'gay marriage'.

Unfortunately, today as in 1860, the poor, tax-sucking South (and now the mid-west), continue to exercise undue influence on the whole nation. Two Senators for the state of Oklahoma and two Senators for the state of California: please !!!!!

Whenever I hear a Texan talk about their 'right' to sucede from the Union, I say, get the fuck out: take all of the states directly north and east of you when you do. Bunch of losers with absolutely no idea of the history that their success springs.

#20     Apr 8, 2010