Bob Brinker's Market Timer

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by oil_trader, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ilganzo

ilganzo

#11     Oct 25, 2005
  2. i believe bob was able to exclude this call. he called it a "special situation". i used to listen to him every weekend for 6 hours back in the 90s but i lost respect for him over the way he handled this call. all he would have had to do was say "i am sorry i screwed this call up". but he didnt he tried to hide it.

#12     Oct 25, 2005
  3. ilganzo

ilganzo

Hopefully he learnt his lesson :D

#13     Oct 25, 2005
  4. That is correct...it was a "trading" call(which is very rare), which is not associated with his longer term "Model" for timing fund switching. He is not a good shorter term trader, so I don't think Hulbert will include it just his longer term calls.

PS. btw, I am not a subscriber...do my own timing. But he is very sharp on many fundamental economic areas, which is helpful to me since I am more technically oriented. Unfortunately, his shows are money oriented and not necessarily stock market related, often discussing political appointments, the housing market, the next rate expected for TIPS, etc. Does not talk much about his "model", but has said he includes sentiment. I know by seeing his prior calls that he likes to sell on optimistic economic news and sentiment and vice versa on buying like in Mar 2003. I would not be surprised to see a sell on this rally that takes the market back to near or above the recent recovery highs. Especially if breadth is lacking and the economic news remains good, and sentiment is again very bullish. Be prepared since he has lots of followers.

In March 03, I was actually buying the week before his call to buy and got 25% in before hand. I smiled once I heard he had issued a buy signal the next week.

RTS

#14     Oct 25, 2005
  5. he did recommend the q's and later I remember he said (in his newsletter I was subscribed to at the time) ,sell it and switch the money into the xlk or something like that ,for tax purposes at the end of one year, in the 90's . I remember because I took the recommendation and lost alot of money myself. I'm not blaming him though , never have actually . I blame myself for not having some sort of a stop loss in place , rule #1 in any trading method , IMO .

#15     Oct 25, 2005
  6. Well its been a month and the markt has rallied as noted below. Now the question is when will Brinker be issuing a SELL signal?

Ok, who cares? Well, alot of people follow his advice and I would not be surprised to see a pretty good selloff once his advice is taken.

The current market is the type of situation he likes to sell into. Lots of people now jumping into the market as the bull is close to 3 years old; economic news has been good and ready to take a hit; interest rate hikes ready to take their toll; housing ready to go into the dumps; advisor very bullish; poor breadth, and on.

Let's see when he says to SELL......

#16     Nov 23, 2005
  7. that's exactly what happened

i subscribed during that period, and the markettimmer report was mostly boilerplate except for the first paragraph on the first page

'we expect a powerfull counter-trend rally lasting many months', then talked about his qqq trading call

every newsletter, oct 2000-jan-2001 began this way - back off until fed or even march

now he claims he limited only part of that portfolio to it, which is true, but that period was no period to hold a losing position for close to 6 months - nor was it a time to be saying bear, but powerfull multi-month rally to a bunch of mom & pops who really didnt understand what he was saying, other than it will go up right now

he claims that wasnt on 'official call', but he's just playing 'Simon says' with the audience 'I didnt say 'bob sez'. anybody can look good, if you delete your losing calls

#17     Nov 25, 2005
  8. A colleague of mine gets Brinker's MarkeTimer. Brinker issued a major buy signal on March 11, 2003. He has not waivered from that buy signal and has held on thru all of the movement since then -- saying that the bull market still has more to run.

As I understand it, he issued a major sell signal on the market in January 2000.

#18     Nov 25, 2005