bob bright

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by soler, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don,

Is hedging a loss into a win (as you have called it) not a mechanical process? Why doesn't Bright just run a hedge fund with billions and take losing positions that turn into winners with hedges all the time?

#41     Jun 24, 2010
  2. GGSAE

GGSAE

...well not to badmouth my boss and all his talent, but being very well-capitalized and having that time element gives you a lot more flexibility than the guy with the small account forced to lighten up a trade because his leverage is too high....obviously the screening of the position in the first place is critical.

#42     Jun 24, 2010
  3. OK, say you buy stock and sell calls and the stock goes down more than the premium you made on the calls. Calls expire... now, do I just assume that that particular trade didn't work and sell the stock at a loss? Or, do I find the best possible calls to sell 3 months out (basically a "rollover") - trading can be very "fluid" and more lucrative long term when you have these variables involved.

FWIW,

Don

#43     Jun 24, 2010
  4. You are absolutely correct. As you know, we teach our traders to keep positions within their realm of control - so they can adjust as necessary - and, yes, at times it is better to "throw in the towel" to free up "dead money" when money is more limited. Don't bet the farm on any trade or portfolio.

Don

#44     Jun 24, 2010
  5. A couple come to mind. Buying Providian from about $9.00 down to about $2.00 - based on fundamentals etc. Always hedging with options, keeping losses to a minimum. Stock came back to around $15-17 or so and made a few million.

Another one was the MRK/LLY spread that he kept for a couple of years, adding a several levels (again based on fundys) - finally one day, he was visiting our LA office, LLY gapped down about $25 bucks or so -an viola, another well planned profit, LOL.

However, always do as he says, not as he does, LOL.

Don

#45     Jun 24, 2010
  6. Completely agree and should have added that trading within your means is an absolutely fundamental part of trade management. Averaging down in a trade in an attempt to turn a loser into a winner is IDIOTIC if it requires you going all-in and results in you being in a position to blow out your account if the action doesn't subsequently go in your favor.

#46     Jun 24, 2010
  7. Right, "adding to a losing trade" without hedging with some time decay or similar is not wise.

Don

#47     Jun 24, 2010
  8. I have heard other traders describe the same condition as: "with size comes arrogance (of trades)".

size in your account, whether equities, futures, currencies, bonds, binaries, etc. allows for an arrogant level of trading where one can either wait out a failed trade, or hold through a reversal or hold until it proves them right.

smaller account face the realities of margin, trading limits, negative equity, and other associated negative realities of holding losses...

#48     Jun 24, 2010
  9. You're right - and I really worry when we get new people who have been successful in other businesses. They make a few $mill sellling widgets or whatever, and then lose all concept of risk controls. They say "it's ok Don, I'll put more money in" - I say "no, you won't, not here - not unless you learn some discipline."

Like good game players, we must play to win - whether chess or trading, IMO. ....and no matter for how much - dollars or thousands.

Don

#49     Jun 24, 2010
  10. When does the Bright Hedge fund open? 80% loss, 'minimized' with options, then you caught a buy out and made 'a few million'! Not like you to brag!

#50     Jun 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.