BlueWaterSailor: Futures Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by BlueWaterSailor, Jan 18, 2020.

1. T

#21     Jan 23, 2020
  2. This is seriously weird;the ET text editor is not showing anything I type until I scroll. Been trying to post since yesterday; logged out/back in, reloaded, rebooted... nothing helps.

@Baron - any suggestions or help?

#22     Jan 23, 2020
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Try a different browser.

#23     Jan 23, 2020
  4. Nah, seems like looping you in was the magical solution. :) I restarted the browser again - probably about the fifth time since the problem began - and now it works. Thanks!

Now that I know, I'll ping you when my car starts making funny noises...

#24     Jan 23, 2020
    Baron likes this.
  5. And now, back to our regularly-scheduled program! Did 6 trades yesterday, all of which just felt wrong, 180° out of sync - and went down $42 before quitting for the day.

But... that's actually good. It means that I do have some sense, some perception of what "right", or "in sync" is - even if I can't yet put it in words, or even describe what the decision factors are. This isn't to claim that I have some magical market-predicting power; just that the combination of price action and the indicators that I'm using is telling me something that often results in a positive outcome when I manage to latch on to it and follow it. I'm not married to that interpretation - but I'd like to a) abstract it into a process that I can write down, and b) follow that process to see whether it's real (or find out if I'm deluding myself.)

I recall seeing a video - may have been a live stream - of some guy who trades futures using nothing but a simple candle chart; no indicators, just a countdown timer (I believe it was a 1-minute chart.) He didn't go into any detail of how he does it, but... there's obviously something to this, and I'd like to find out if I can access it. I'll do some trading tonight and see what lessons I can extract.

#25     Jan 23, 2020
  6. Overnight

Overnight

How about that CL since the missile strike? Peaked at 65, and NOW look at it. I honestly thought we had a new range established with 58 as the bottom of range, but nope!

It's back down to 55ish. It had two nice bounces when it fell below 55 today, but makes me wonder...Are we going to see it revert back to the 52ish to 58ish range it had established last year?

#26     Jan 23, 2020
  7. Sure hope not - or at least not yet. I'll be rolling that Iron Condor in CL unless the price bounces before expiration; it's punched all the way through my put-side spread, and I'm not in the mood for just taking a loss on it. For all my limited experience in the market, I'm bullish oil - possibly even more so than the spooz. You and I have talked about the reasons for it: energy density, long-term limited availability, huge number of uses... sure, there's still tons of play between current price and marginal production cost, but $56 is below break-even for anyone but Qatar and Azerbaijan, and they're not shipping enough to matter. The EIA is projecting $62/bbl for 2020, and I could live with it even if they're half-right.

#27     Jan 23, 2020
  8. Went back to my drugs of choice for a bit, just to see if the magic still works: scalped a few ticks out of CL, GC, and ES. Result: 100% win rate, $88 up. And no, I wasn't "eating like a bird, shitting like an elephant"; all entries were made with the standard stops and limits. I just exited when I saw the the brakes getting applied to the move; the range at night is pretty narrow.

I'll keep working away at MYM till I get it nailed - really like that fine-grained control over risk. But don't blame me if I sneak out to get with my CL babe on the QT once in a while...

#28     Jan 24, 2020
  9. Crap. Looks like I need to go on hiatus for a while; annoying as hell, since I just started. Just got a fair amount of irreducible chaos injected into my life, and have to deal with that... I'll be back as soon as I can.

#29     Jan 28, 2020