Blowouts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Wanted to start a thread of people that blew out their accounts. Thought I'd start with this big one. This is what the guy said regarding that huge drop.

"Two worst trades were shorting sfix at 38. It ran to 53 within a week and margin called me for 800k. Then I took the rest and sold naked calls on tlry which seemed like a no brained. Very next day it ran up 100% and margin called me. I was forced to buy the calls I sold the day before for a 1200% loss"

[​IMG]

REDP1800 likes this.
  2. “Sold naked calls on TLRY which seemed like a no brainer”.

Classic

trickshot likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

This shit is too painful to witness. And here I am freaking out when I lose 500 bux in a day.

bikgup and athlonmank8 like this.
  4. Craig66

Craig66

Crikey!

5. He has/had $9200 equity but ran up losses of $850K? How does a broker not catch that?

6. Overnight

Overnight

I think the idea here is that the person HAD about $860K in the account, but now has only $9K.

FriskyCat and athlonmank8 like this.
  7. Metamega

Metamega

Don’t have an IB account but isn’t that most likely paper money? Assuming the paper money default is 1 million?

Not a blowout but always found this video hilarious.

Still remember the first 1000 I lost on one trade in a morning gap. Didn’t notice earnings coming up. Funny how I’ve grown to those emotions. Sure I’d be pissed if i was down 25% tomorrow morning but down days don’t really phase me after 3 years. Equity highs still put a smile on my face though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    beginner66, Craig66 and fan27 like this.
  8. That chart is his account balance over the course of a year. The -$850k is what he lost over a 1 year time frame.

9. fook this thread

10. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

Brain damage much?

#10     Dec 11, 2018
    athlonmank8 likes this.