Blowing up a margin account

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by horowitzvlad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. drcha

drcha

OP seems to have disappeared from this thread and gone back to playing the piano. Hope he is okay.

#41     May 25, 2010
  2. Why don't you trade with a LLC or corporation to protect yourself?

#42     May 25, 2010
  3. Correct. But when you say "gov't and courts can freeze your bank account for whatever reason or debt or taxes owing. or debts owing whether the debit is legit or not." The courts have already determined that the debt is legit, hence a court order implies that the debt is legit. Therefore it would be considered legit.

#43     May 26, 2010
  4. I wish what you said is true, but it is not true. No, it can not be broken into parts. After the decision is signed by the judge, it is settled.

#44     May 26, 2010
  5. There are better jurisdictions for asset protection than Switzerland. Having said that, people who want to protect their assets offshore should really study their situation. Perhaps they would find that keeping it onshore suit their needs better.

#45     May 26, 2010
  6. They cannot go after your credit cards.

#46     May 26, 2010
  7. Because the broker would need a personal guarantee anyway.

#47     May 26, 2010
  8. That was what I was thinking. Only a foolish broker would let someone trade margin without a personal guarantee. Anytime a tiny LLC/S corp owner wants to go out and borrow a lot of money, or get credit cards, or get supplies from a supplier, that company is going to ask him/her to cosign, personally.

#48     May 27, 2010
  9. I didn't sign any personal guarantee for my LLC margin account with IB and TOS.

Some firms are confident in their own risk management (or forced liquidation) and so they are taking the chance.

#49     Jun 1, 2010
  10. Putting aside the question of whether a $20k claim is worth a broker's followup legal action, the important question is whether you're opening an account in your personal name, with open-ended liability, or wrapping yourself in a liability-resistant structure and using that name. Of course, brokers aren't eager to accept such names, but that's negotiable, as with everything else in life.

#50     Jun 1, 2010