Bloomberg terminal?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by heech, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Oh a few posts ago you just mentioned those relationships are juicy? :=)

#41     Feb 27, 2011
  2. I vaguely know that you are hinting about the notional sizes and AUM that are needed in order to generate meaningfully comparable economic returns of different asset classes are different...

But could you please elaborate more?

#42     Feb 27, 2011
  3. sjfan

sjfan

Not mutually exclusive: nice perks like dinner and client events on one hand, and a lot of crap on the other - just like any other broker/client relationship.

Why are you asking these questions?

#43     Feb 27, 2011
  4. heech

heech

I'm not sure how to see these numbers ($10mm) in terms of the futures contracts I trade.... Can you put it in terms of monthly commissions? How much do these firms need to make from you before you're worth spoiling?

#44     Feb 27, 2011
  5. sjfan

sjfan

futures would be much much more; I'm not a futures guy so I don't know what the total amt that needs to be cleared or brokered before you are enough of an account to warrant coverage; I imagine you'd be at a size where your trades are regularly reportable as block sizes.

Being worth spoiling also means your trading is now facing so much institutional constraints (both legal/compliance, allocation, liquidity, etc) that you yarn for simpler times when you can just click a few buttons.

#45     Feb 27, 2011
  6. heech

heech

Right, that'd why I'm asking for commissions earned. I'm sure what they cate about is their bottom line, how much they're making off of your activity... What's a fair starter account in that sense? $50k a month?

#46     Feb 27, 2011
  7. sjfan

sjfan

No idea what it is for futures-only. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the sales-trader model no longer exists for liquid futures markets since there's really no longer any point.

#47     Feb 27, 2011
  8. heech

heech

I guess it's not all caviar and champagne in Bloomberg-land. I was very excited to find indicative variance swaps on BB from various firms, and was looking forward to hedging that aspect of my risk. I never had coverage previously (and had no idea how to get it)... so thought this was going to be my "in".

I request entitlement... a week or two of silence goes by... and then: entitlement denied!

So, F you, Morgan Stanley. F you too, BAML. If I ever manage to grow my business to the 9-digit range, you ain't ever getting a whiff of my business. ~sniff~

#48     Mar 2, 2011
  9. Heech - What's your current AUM?

#49     Mar 2, 2011
  10. heech

heech

I'm currently at $4.8mm.

#50     Mar 2, 2011