Bloomberg terminal?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by heech, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Thomson1 is a high-retail / low-institutional product. If "rates related stuff" includes swaps, caps, floors, structured products & etc, I wouldn't expect it to suit your requirements. There's a reason it's far cheaper than BBG. But it may well fit OP's needs.

That's an important point. BBG is only a convenient conduit for these info flows.

#21     Jan 14, 2011
  2. So what exactly does ThomsonOne offer?

I'm more of a retail equity derivative kinda guy who is not exactly doing some esoteric vol strategy like selling ATM SPX straddles and buying SPX index component straddles cause there is a discrepancy in the correlation of the implied volatility between the two.

I have more of a multistrategy approach in my portfolio where I look to do some largely nondirectional condors, calendars, or flys on indices on a monthly basis in addition to structuring various spread and/or pure directional plays on some equities based on fundamental or technical analysis. Could ThomsonOne assist me at all in this regard (i.e. offer some decent ER) or is there nothing of value for me?

#22     Jan 14, 2011
  3. heech

heech

Oh I'm definitely sold on Bloomberg. The demo they just gave was very compelling. It's really night/day versus the retail platforms I've been using.

For me the decisive factor that moved me is probably access to data for non-US markets... but taking a closer look at all of its capabilities, there's no doubt it'll make me a much more efficient/informed (and hopefully capable) manager.

#23     Feb 16, 2011
  4. kayakfly

kayakfly

Da thomson messenger is all ya needs. What culd b bettr dan messages from movers an shakrs? doing ya own analyst is for the byrds

#24     Feb 16, 2011
  5. heech

heech

I'm like a kid in a candy store. How the hell did I manage to do business without these tools!? And I say this after 3 hours of playing with the thing... can't wait to find out what else is in here.

It's just an unbelievable investment, IMO.

#25     Feb 17, 2011
  6. SAID <GO> (quote of the day)

AUTO <GO> (drool over stuff you can't afford)

PEOP <GO> (e-stalk)

(alt + L gives you a keyboard layout)

BU <GO> do at least the first 1-2 courses, they are dry but worth it. learning the difference between GP and GIP is important.

#26     Feb 17, 2011
  7. Don't forget JOBS :)...

#27     Feb 18, 2011
  8. imap>
    fxc>
    gsci movers>

are my favorite commands

its cool, or you can lease a ferrari for 2k a month

#28     Feb 18, 2011
  9. heech

heech

Married with kids, I don't need a Ferrari unless it has room for two car seats and a stroller.

Keep the tips coming guys!

Any way to get to a "scanner" type functionality? I'd like to run statistics on any number of instruments and then feed the results into excel/table so I can filter for specific instruments.

#29     Feb 18, 2011
  10. i like the pair trade / spread function

AAPL US Equity NFLX US Equity GR> GO

about scanning, there is an excel supplement that allows you to build templates and models from real time or historical data..

#30     Feb 18, 2011