bloomberg terminal- worth the $$$ ??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by NDQnCA, Nov 5, 2002.

1. worth every cent

#11     Nov 6, 2002
  2. You nailed it. You should feel good that you got the attention of at least one malcontent.

MC

#12     Nov 6, 2002
  3. Seven

Seven

Good Dr.

I confess I'm not a real trader, at least as far as extensive experience goes.

However, I will soon be trading $150-300K in the ED & 10yr. futures mkts. Approx. 50-200 RT's/mo. The account will be like a LLC except I'm from Canada.

I know from another post you mentioned Refco or Man as a good clearing firm, but what should I expect for a 'soft dollar budget'?

I'm worried that I may develop a case of unnecessarily high expensitis. Any good toxins in the way of negotiating power would be appreciated.

Any others wanting to diagnose the case, your input would be welcome.

#13     Nov 22, 2002
  4. just21

just21

Can you scan the news, on bloomberg, so you only have to read headlines containing the word you are looking for? Can you link the windows so when you type in a ticker, all windows, charts aand optin prices update? Can you scan for breakouts to new highs like in realtick or first alert

#14     Nov 22, 2002
  5. Yes, it would be educational if somebody could provide a brief summary of his/her real-life experiences, likes/dislikes on bloomeberg terminal usage.

#15     Nov 22, 2002
  6. Could someone post a screen shot for us?
    Assuming its not physical terminal.

peace

axeman

#16     Nov 22, 2002
  7. Here is a time and sales for an option contract.

#17     Nov 22, 2002
  8. Bloomberg is great but Bloomberg is more for professional traders working on derivatives or fixed income desks in big dealing rooms.

If you are a trader whose trading depends mainly on technical analysis and stays basic (buy or sell outright), then Bloomberg is clearly not for you.

On Bloomberg, you will find news and a lot of more complicated functions (for exemple for cash fixed income:forward price calculator, cost of carry calculator...... and many many more).
    Bloomberg offer charts but this part of Bloomberg is clearly the weakest part (people from Bloomberg know their strength is elsewhere) and I have never used it for that purpose.

In the dealing rooms I have worked, I have always had a Bloomberg but also a CQG for charts.

#18     Nov 22, 2002
  9. Likes:

(1) Great news feed
    (2) Times and sales for option contracts and foreign securities (like Japanese stocks, HK stocks, etc)
    (3) Bloomberg mail all of your friends
    (4) excellent DES page to find out all you want about a company
    (5) great for watching spreads (you can program one against the other)
    (6) Can set up to be able to enter trades (US stocks, don't know about foreign stocks, etc.)
    (7) Access to all of the FLEX activity (quotes, trades, etc.)

Dislikes:

Expensive, but no other service can compete!

#19     Nov 22, 2002
  10. DES page

#20     Nov 22, 2002