Bloomberg: Sometimes government does know best and you should give up your rights.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Not interstate comparative.

Education
    The 5 Worst and 5 Best States to Educate Your Kids
    Where does your state rank in early childhood education, graduation rates, and math and reading proficiency?
    By Jenny Inglee
    July 25, 2012

"The 5 Worst and 5 Best States to Educate Your Kids

"There's good news and bad news about the state of education in America. According to The Annie E. Casey Foundation’s newly released KIDS COUNT Data Book, we've made progress and have had some setbacks. Academics and health have improved in most states, but our children's economic well-being continues to decline.

"From the period of 2005 to 2011, there was an 11 percent reduction in the rate of high school students not graduating in four years; and an eight percent reduction in the proportion of eighth-graders scoring less than proficient in math. More kids are attending preschool, and elementary school kids are reading better. On the downside, from 2005 to 2010, the number of children living in poverty rose by 2.4 million.

"When it comes to education, some states outrank others. Click through the gallery to see the top five and bottom five states for education in America. To learn more about how the Casey Foundation did their rankings, click here."

The gallery is here:
    http://www.takepart.com/photos/5-worst-and-5-best-states-educate-your-kids

#31     Mar 28, 2013
  2. Trendlover asks . . . what systwem ? . :p .

#32     Mar 28, 2013
  3. Since we are on education. Here's a random headline.

"High School Students Need to Think, Not Memorize"

My 11th grade daughter is a perfect example of failing at both. Can't have one without the other, Imo.

I went Awol for about 2 hours but I had my phone. I expected her to call from work when she was finished.

Later when I couldn't find her but finally did I asked why didn't you call. She said I didn't have my phone and your number is on my phone.

I've been through this with her before to memorize everyone's number. She said why bother, I have them in my phone. I said, "Time like this when you don't have your phone, remembering my number would have saved you some grief."

"Well, I didn't think about that."
    --------------

Then of course the conversation continues..

"Well what do you think about?"...:D

"Stuff."

"Like what, how to be late for class?"..:cool:

"Can we please not go there?"

"You should trying memorizing your schedule so you know wher you're supposed to be."..whoo and on time."

*goes into bedroom ..slams door*...lmao"

#33     Mar 28, 2013
  4. pspr

pspr

I think trendlover doesn't know ANY English. She is probably using Google translator. That's why her posts are all garbled. The translation from Chinese to English is not that good in the translation software.

#34     Mar 28, 2013
  5. I didn't say christie hadn't done some good things in Jersey. That's why he's in the conversation in the first place. But he has also been problematic.

I thought Romney should have picked him as the VP nominee, but for some reason Romney didn't do it. Maybe he didn't like fatboy's style, maybe he thought two northeastern moderates wouldn't fly, who knows. I suspect Christie's big suckup to Obama the week before the election might have had something to do with his being pissed at not getting the nomination, but I can't say that for sure. I can say he probably cost Romney the election or at least was a big factor.

I have no reason to believe he has any magical insight into the economy. Better than a democrat? Sure, but that's a very low bar any republican will surpass.

He worries me because he is a guy with no fixed political philosophy, other than advancing his own interests and , in fairness, the parochial interests of his state. Take gun control. This is a total litmus test issue and he fails it. He could easily be another Bloomberg for all we know. Immigration and amnesty/citizenship is another. He is with McCain on that, so another failure.

For all his talk of balancing budgets, he became hysterical when the House didn'tt immediately approve a porkulus hurricane bill. All the money from Obama's tax increases gone up in a puff of smoke. So again, he failed a crucial test. He got his way but at what cost?

Bottom line, I don't discount some of his accomplishments, but I want a president whose judgment I can trust. He's not that guy.

#35     Mar 28, 2013
  6. Come on, cut trendlover some slack here. Just because she is obsessed with Zimmerman doesn't mean she can't get other stuff right.

I suspect she is not far off the mark in saying the big spending in jersy in education is on admistrators. I know that's the situation here in DC. They look at it as an employment program. Those afirmative action grads have to work somewhere, don't they, and most of them have no useful skills. So they get no work $150k adminstrator jobs.

Obviously NJ is saddled with onerous union contracts that make effective managment of teachers impossible. But at the end of the day, I think parents and the home environment have far more to do with educational results.

Most teachers go into the profession because they want to help kids. I don't think it's fair to blame them for poor political leadership or dysfunctional family life of their students.

#36     Mar 28, 2013
  7. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Si, teachers are not to blame for when they have students from familys that is not paying attention to education. Why do not pay attention I do not know.

For Zimmerman, I really can not see how YOU can not see George Zimmerman is making BIG mistake to profile.
    1. Trayvon have no gun
    2. Trayvon is walking home at 7:00p.m. alone (not gang) to his father's house with no gun, no trying to steal, nothing.
    3. George is seeing Trayvon only walking. George become paranoid because black boys before steal from that community.
    4. George in his imagination judge guilty.
    5. George follow and stalk that boy.

AAA poster you are thinking like George's brother Robert Zimmerman in the tweets. Robert Zimmerman think he can compare Trayvon to the black boy that kill the baby and shoot the mother in Georgia.
    So how STUPID to compare.
    Trayvon did not kill innocent people with a gun like that black boy in Georgia.
    George Zimmerman kill (UNARMED) black boy only the 70 feet from his home.

#37     Mar 29, 2013
  8. AAA poster, I read all this posters and you talking so bad that Trayvon is caught in school with residue in the bag for marijuana. So all this posters want to judge Trayvon criminal and dangerous for this.
    Do you know how many USA teenagers sometimes smoke marijuana, or drink at the party? Not just black or latino teenagers do this.
    I remember you are so friendly with poster Pabst. I remember Pabst always talking about he smoke marijuana.
    Do YOU judge pabst the criminal?

#38     Mar 29, 2013
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

So if a chimpanzee right out of the zoo attacks you, are you going to lay down and take a near-death ass beating that might leave you a vegetable because the chimp had no gun? REALLY???!?!?!? Wish I had a bag of what you're smoking.

#39     Mar 29, 2013
  10. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? You are saying Trayvon is chimpanzee? Why? He is walking home with no gun, no crime, no violence. Geroge follow him. Trayvon see this. Who is instigate? Why do YOU think that boy do not feel afraid of George Zimmerman stalking him? George is really the animal stalking. Geroge is stupid paranoid man with his gun.
    What do you think will happen in that night if Goerge is not looking?
    I think Trayvon will walk home from the store and of home. No crime from him.

#40     Mar 29, 2013