Bloomberg prepared to spend $1 billion on White House run....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JayS, May 15, 2007.

1. man

man

as i see it bloomberg has just the money.

#31     May 17, 2007
  2. dhpar

dhpar

right now is there anybody better who has a chance of being elected?

enlighten us - wise man...

#32     May 17, 2007
  3. Either major party candidate. How many third party/independent candidates have ever been elected?

Bloomberg's appeal is quite limited. A rich, liberal jew who is not part of the democrat kook left may seem like an ideal candidate for people living in NYC, but I can promise you, he will be in low single digits percentage wise in most of the country.

#33     May 17, 2007
  4. you are absolutely correct. and that is what is so sad about this country. more people would probably vote for bush for a 3rd term than for bloomberg.

#34     May 17, 2007
  5. dhpar

dhpar

I agree with that.

My point was slightly different though; I think it is great that Bloomberg candidates and people should be happy about that. I do not think that any candidate from a major party (whoever it is going to be) is a better choice over him.

Of course you are right that when it comes to odds Mike is 100:1.

#35     May 17, 2007
  6. I can save him some serious cash with the truth. I'll do it for a lousy 100 million. OK, here goes. Mr. Bloomberg, you have about as much chance of winning the presidency as I do.
    I prefer cash, but for you...I'll accept a check.
    Another one of the idle rich with too much time and money on his hands. Moron!

#36     May 17, 2007
  7. I think he would add some interest to the race. While I don't agree with him on much, I think it is a good sign if people who have been successful in business get involved in politics.

I believe that was the vision of our Founding Fathers. I'm sure it seemed obvious to the them that the country would look to leadership to its most successful and accomplished people. Instead, we are lead by a group of career politicians who treat their office as family property to be passed down from generation to generation.

Regarding Bloomberg, I have felt for a long time that we would see a third and possibly fourth party candidate in '08. Maybe even five. I expected an anti-war candidate on the left and an anti-immigration candidate on the right.

#37     May 17, 2007
  8. I'm not really up on NYC politics, but this Bloomberg trial balloon seems to me to be aimed directly at Rudy. A Bloomberg candidacy would pose a big threat to Rudy, as his strongest argument is he might be able to carry NY and with Bloomberg in the race splitting the ticket, that seems even more unlikely. Since Rudy and Bloomberg seem to have nearly identical positions on the issues, I have to wonder if there is some personal animosity motivating this. At the least, it seems to be a big vote of no confidence in either Rudy or his chances to get the nomination.

#38     May 17, 2007
  9. Sponger

Sponger

The current political system has no real concern for anything other than the perpetuation of itself - ie the "two party system" of Democrat or Republican. No matter who runs on the Independent Party ticket, the apathetic voting public will not take the steps to make a serious change to the way this country is run. You might be a career politician, or you might buy your way into power - but the majority of voters are still looking for a donkey or an elephant when it comes to election day.

People seem to have forgetten that its "government BY the people and FOR the people" - not government for the sake of government, and not government for the sake of the self-serving politicians. The founding fathers expected the citizens to rise up and scrap the whole system (ie toss everyone out of office) if and when it ever became corrupt or clearly was broken- and start over from scratch.

I think we passed that point a LONG time ago - but I just don't see the public caring enough to vote Independent. Anyone out there willing to vote Independent?

#39     May 17, 2007
  10. man

man

nobody on the right side ... but two or three on the left.
    though i guess you might see that neither new nor
    enlightening ...

#40     May 17, 2007