bloomberg hack for news

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by chs245, Feb 16, 2006.

1. sccz97

sccz97

that just provides you with some documentation and downloads for the api which will not get him what he wants

#11     Mar 20, 2006
  2. correct, but the only other option i can think of, this time from a BB terminal, is using ticker symbols but then you need to know what news items you want to track / filter etc...

#12     Mar 20, 2006
  3. sccz97

sccz97

there are a number of ways to approach this problem, all of this problem. All of them require some technical know-how though which is prob beyond the scope of the majority here

#13     Mar 20, 2006
  4. is bloomberg data encrypted over the network?

#14     Mar 20, 2006
  5. sccz97

sccz97

it appears there are some ppl who are seriously trying to get around the bb contract resrictions! The data sent from the bb servers to the individual terminals is indeed encrypted. But you all seem to be looking at this the wrong way. If you really want say 5 ppl to look at or access bloomberg but only pay for it oce, I'm guessing you can use remote assistance for that machien with the bb tgerminal on. I'd have to recheck the contract but I believe bb are fine so long as the actual data doesn't leave the machine. How you could interpret bitmap information sent to other machines I don't know ... but that wodl be a solution

#15     Mar 20, 2006
  6. chs245

chs245

how can you get them into a custom app when not through the API ?

#16     Mar 20, 2006
  7. sccz97

sccz97

there are a number of ways ... some better than others.I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can think of ways. And it all depends on how you use your terminal. I'm assuming you don't use it much for analysis but more for the streaming news (a shame seeing as the wealth of information bb provides is actually well worth the money). Anyway, one possible route is to write a screen grabber that snapshots the window x times a second and converts the bitmap into text. All you need then is a simple app that removes old entries and adds the new ones and adds them to some list with which you can broadcast over tibco or whatever you have in your office. However, this would def be breaching the contract. I've given you one suggestion and no doubt you sohudl be able to come up with a number of similar solutions, some better than the others. I know which ones I'd use

#17     Mar 20, 2006
  8. How much is it to get bloomberg a month for a retail customer

#18     Mar 22, 2006
  9. I pay $5100 per quarter ($1700 monthly). Some other data and quote feeds are available for an extra charge, but I just get the basic service.

#19     Mar 22, 2006
  10. sccz97

sccz97

too much if you're just going to use it for news

#20     Mar 23, 2006