Bloomberg Group Rate

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jesseah, Aug 12, 2010.

1. You can try susette|dot|franklin|at|thomsonreuters|dot|com -- she's the contact I have handy.

#21     Dec 28, 2010
  2. I would not recommend using Thomson One. They have decent news but their contract terms are less than stellar. The contract is yearly and you need to give them three months notice prior to the start of the contract renewal in order to be able to cancel. Otherwise it auto-renews. A much better news solution is to add on DJ Newswire to ESignal or CQG (if you have these charting solutions). I have the commodity news addon for CQG, which costs about $100 per month and I find that it produces far better news stories than Thomson One I used to have (which cost a bit over $300 per month).

#22     Dec 28, 2010
  3. dinn13

dinn13

a few hundred thousand a year, but it's negotiable to a degree and they have been coming down in a price as of late.

#23     Dec 28, 2010
  4. dewton

dewton

Does the Bloomberg Terminal provide historical tick data for all financial instruments / markets around the world? If so how far back does it go?

#24     Dec 28, 2010
  5. "All" is a big word, but generally historical tickdata are provided. The available lookbacks have varied over time -- borrow a terminal and experiment with QR on whatever instruments you follow, or experiment with the API.

#25     Dec 28, 2010
  6. Six months max on historical tick level.

EDIT: for what its worth, a subscription is roughly $50k (two year contract) so if you were to get a terminal just for the tick data you would end up having about 2.5 years worth of tick data.

#26     Dec 28, 2010
  7. I would have guessed that also, but I see tickdata for EDZ1 from January on my BBG right now...

#27     Dec 28, 2010
  8. dinn13

dinn13

as others have said they have tick data for most everything and for a limited time window. the earliest i'm able to pull up SPY data using QRM (quotes and trades) is 1/27 of this year, so i think should be able to also pull via the api.

also there are bandwidth limitations per month, and i've hit it before only pulling tick data for a single instrument (emini s&p 500 futures). personally would only use it as a back up source for tick data or just stuff that doesn't have a lot of data (like swap rates or something).

#28     Dec 28, 2010
  9. Have you guys tried to pull via the API or via Excel or just on the terminal?

API/Excel is limited to a much shorter timeframe. Historical EOD and Intraday Bars is longer than 6-months but Historical Intraday Ticks is 6-months.

#29     Dec 28, 2010
  10. Yes, of course.

My point was only that I was surprised to learn they expose data back to Jan 2010 in any format.

#30     Dec 29, 2010