Bloomberg Endorses Obama For Re-Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Nov 1, 2012.

1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/michael-bloomberg-obama_n_2059212.html

Bloomberg Endorses Obama For Re-Election

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg endorsed President Barack Obama for re-election on Thursday, Bloomberg TV reported and The Huffington Post confirmed.

The mayor, an Independent, did not endorse a candidate in the 2008 election and hadn't seem poised to do so this time around as well. But he said in an op-ed published on his website, that his eagerness to see action on climate change legislation persuaded him to back a second term for the president. He also explained that while he admired Mitt Romney, there were a number of social issues that gave him pause.

I believe Mitt Romney is a good and decent man, and he would bring valuable business experience to the Oval Office. He understands that America was built on the promise of equal opportunity, not equal results. In the past he has also taken sensible positions on immigration, illegal guns, abortion rights and health care. But he has reversed course on all of them, and is even running against the health-care model he signed into law in Massachusetts.

If the 1994 or 2003 version of Mitt Romney were running for president, I may well have voted for him because, like so many other independents, I have found the past four years to be, in a word, disappointing.

Bloomberg's endorsement was one of the few remaining of any political significance in the presidential race, and it remains to be seen whether it comes too late in the cycle to make a difference. The mayor won't be on the stump for the president, owing to the massive cleanup job he must now oversee in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. But it appears that the storm itself prompted him to offer up his support for the president.

"The devastation that Hurricane Sandy brought to New York City and much of the Northeast – in lost lives, lost homes and lost business – brought the stakes of Tuesday’s presidential election into sharp relief," he said.

His endorsement seems likely to dominate the few remaining media cycles in the presidential race, if only for its unexpectedness. Just a week ago, Bloomberg had been highly critical of both Obama and Romney in an interview with the New York Times.

This is a developing story...check back for more information...

2. bloomberg is one republican i would vote for. he is a pragmatic leader.

3. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Bloomberg is not a Republican. He is an independent (as noted in the article). He is a former Republican.

4. all the better. i am a fromer republican too. sane people have to call themselves former republicans. dont want to be associated with what passes for a republican these days.

5. I can guess the responses that will emanate from ET's reactionary right.

6. JamesL

JamesL

He was a Democrat for most of his adult life until he switched political parties to ride on Giuliani's coat tails:

"A Democrat before seeking elective office, Bloomberg switched his registration in 2001 and ran for mayor as a Republican, "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg

Also, a head slap to Obama in his endorsement:

Even in his endorsement, the mayor continued to express criticism of the president. He said that Mr. Obama had fallen short of his 2008 campaign promise to be a problem-solver and consensus builder, noting that he “devoted little time” to creating a coalition of centrists in Washington who could find common ground on important issues like illegal guns, immigration, tax reform and deficit reduction.

“Rather than uniting the country around a message of shared sacrifice,” Mr. Bloomberg said of Mr. Obama, “he engaged in partisan attacks and has embraced a divisive populist agenda focused more on redistributing income than creating it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/n...saying-hurricane-sandy-affected-decision.html

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Didn't Bloomberg also say that Obama's first term was "disappointing"?

8. Yea well, we'll see how happy bloomberg will be if Obama gets re-elected and the Fed sucks more money from NY to pass around to the states less fortunate than NY.

He's always bitching NY sends more money to DC than we get back in return, it'll get worse.

But then again, perhaps the hurricane will balance out the transfer payments.