Blood Done Sign My Name

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gwb-trading, Nov 25, 2018.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I recently went on cruise vacation and read "Blood Done Sign My Name" by Timothy Tyson.

This book covers the history of racial strife in Oxford, North Carolina in the 1960s & 1970s. Oxford is located just north of us in Granville County. I knew the former mayor, Hugh Currin, but never discussed local history with him which seemed to be an unbreachable subject.

No matter your political perspective, this book is a good read. It provides context and understanding of the tense racial situation in the South during the 1960s and 1970s. It outlines the events in Oxford (which many would prefer to forget) in detail. Blood Done Sign My Name is very educational in developing a better understanding and context of history. I would urge everyone to consider reading it.

2. vanzandt

vanzandt

I googled the title to read the AMZN reviews... looks like they made it into a movie too. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210039/
    (As with most movies) I'm sure it doesn't do the book justice but it must be a pretty powerful book as there are several videos on YouTube with the author (Timothy Tyson) speaking about it. Lots of discussion type vids about it too.
    I put it on my list for my next 2nd hand bookstore run. thnx

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

So many stories of black people being murdered by racist and getting away with it,and its still happening today.Sadly people like GWB supports it.

4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

It is horrible for you to claim that I support the murder of people by racists. However by now I recognize that trolling with these type of absurd assertions is merely how you entertain yourself in your otherwise empty life.

Why don’t you go read the book and educate yourself.

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

No,its a fact George Zimmerman defender.

6. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Not only do you support murderers like Zimmerman,you have a problem when blacks peacefully protest against it.

7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Why don’t you actually go back and read what I wrote about the Zimmerman case when the event occurred before pushing your non-factual assertions.

8. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

I dont have to read what you wrote I recall you going on and on defending him you racist murderer supporter.I was suprised but you being a southern republican white male I shouldn't have been.

9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Well then I will urge others who are more rational to go back and read what I actually wrote.

Unlike you -- my opinion in the case changed as the facts evolved over time. At the beginning the media presented a portrait of events which was for the most part fictional. As the facts actually came out it became clear that Zimmerman from a legal perspective was well within his rights to defend himself with armed force under Florida law. It also became clear that his prosecution was driven by a political agenda and no reasonable jury would ever convict him.

The entire Zimmerman / Martin situation was a tragedy. Both actors in it were flawed with numerous previous police/legal encounters prior the shooting. It is very difficult to be sympathetic to either Zimmerman or Martin as an individual but easier to sympathize with their families who endured the aftermath of the shooting.

10. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

So many stories of black people being murdered by racist and getting away with it,and its still happening today.Sadly people like GWB supports it.

#10     Nov 26, 2018