Blocked users...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by NoahA, Aug 2, 2022.

1. smallfil

smallfil

If you are blocked by anyone, the intent is to break off all contact with you. You should not be able to read any posts by the person who blocked you. It should be a permanent break. There have been multiple ET trolls that come out of the woodwork precisely, to make inflammatory remarks. Such ET trolls have very few posts and no useful contribution to the ET message boards. A block that shuts them down from seeing your posts is a step in the right direction. They can read the posts of their fellow ET trolls as it should be.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    #11     Aug 3, 2022
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The only reason I haven't done it is up to this point is because some other forum owners have told me it's an absolute traffic killer. The second that legitimate unregistered users like search engine bots can't index the site is the day the site traffic goes by-by.

#12     Aug 4, 2022
    TrailerParkTed likes this.
  3. deaddog

deaddog

The problem is that when anyone else quotes the poster you have blocked and replys to them, you only get to see the reply, not the quote. Without the context of the quote, the reply may not make any sense.

#13     Aug 4, 2022
    NoahA likes this.

4. Sign out and you can see all posts.

#14     Aug 4, 2022
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Good grief, what other stand-alone trading forums are there, aside from Big Mike and Baron?

Anyways, I am sure you have studied the metrics of that, and I would not argue it. But SOMETHING has to be done about this /ignore and /block issue. I am on a mini-vacation for the next week and a half, and I will call you to discuss other possibilities.

#15     Aug 4, 2022
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Right, that's because that person is on your block list so you shouldn't care about what he posted, much less any replies to his posts. It's functioning as intended in your case.

#16     Aug 4, 2022
  7. deaddog

deaddog

I don't care about what the blocked poster posts. But when someone I do respect replies to one of the blocked posters posts, it would be nice to know the context.

When you get a post that reads, "I completely agree with you on point one and two, but point 3 is utter BS" without a quoted post to refer to it gets a little confusing. Now you have to be a little curious what someone you respect agrees and disagrees with. Even from someone you have on ignore.

Throw a prolific poster like overnight (Just an example) on ignore. He has an opinion on just about every subject and other posters quote him in response. Threads become very confusing as other posters quote him and you don't have any idea what question or comment they are responding to.

Even if the quote box showed ignored poster it would help.

#17     Aug 4, 2022
    NoahA and Overnight like this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

I know exactly what you are on about. I'm gonna convince Baron to at least consider a change over the coming 10 days. Grrrr!

It's the number-one problem being talked about for years on the forum in feedback, there must be a solution!

#18     Aug 4, 2022
    maxinger and deaddog like this.
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I would opine that just getting rid of the block and ignore functions would solve the problem and also allow traffic to stay high.

#19     Aug 4, 2022
    Overnight likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Emiril BAM!

#20     Aug 4, 2022