Block trades & money flow

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Kicking, Jun 19, 2001.

1. The other day on Bloomberg TV, they pulled up a chart with money flow on a Bloomberg machine. Interestingly this is not the classic "money flow" you can get from any charting package which is calculated after close-open and vol.( like Chaikin money flow, acc/dis line etc.). Their money flow they say is based on blocks of 10k or more on bid or ask. Now I am not sure this is very useful anyway (I 've seen plenty of Nasdaq stocks tanking minutes after big prints on the ask, I guess these were people unloading in strength) but I am just curious, does anybody know where I can get this indicator in RT if possible or otherwise end of day( other than the Bloomberg terminal of course). Thanks.

2. I was wondering about the bloomberg money flow myself. I think it would be helpful, but can't seem to find anything about it on the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. If you can get the formula for it, you can code it in any RT program that has a formula language pretty easily.

If the code is proprietary, then you might not be able to get it, but that's pretty unlikely for such a generic sounding indicator. The prop indicators that are secret usually have pretty stupid names, and this one doesn't so I'd say it's probably not proprietary.

Most of the better RT charting programs support scripting...of course there are some that charge like $250/mo which don't have a formula language, but I don't know why you'd ever use any of those programs. :D

4. gordo

gordo

shadow:

If you are near your bloomberg, go to the equity, hit f2 (help) twice. From there you can send the help desk an inquiry and ask them about it's use and calculation. They are usually helpful and hopefully will provide you with what you need to know. HTH

Gordo

5. thanks gordo

6. gordo

gordo

you're welcome, hope it gets you the right info.

7. nitro

nitro

gordo,

Do you have a Bloomberg? If so, how do you like it and do you think it is worth the expense?

nitro