Blew up 2 accounts: Need input

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DarioC, Sep 20, 2005.

1. =============
    True;
    its not hard when you enjoy it, but still plenty of work.:cool:

#41     Dec 14, 2005
  2. get a 3rd and keep at it....

who knows, you may be able to write the next trading book...

#42     Dec 14, 2005
  3. ==============
    Lot of truth there,but study risk/money management more than Jesee;
    he filed bankruptcy several times:cool:

#43     Dec 14, 2005
  4. Hi Fred

In my experience, success comes about if you have the attitude (state of mind) necessary to be able to work harder than the mundane masses. I used to teach music and I told my students that you don't need to work like a maniac to achieve success; you just have to do 10% or 20% more work than the masses are willing to do, and you can be virtually guaranteed of success, no matter what your aptitudes are. In fact, the most naturally talented people I know and the most successful are two groups with a limited intersection.

Anyway, I think I have to disagree with your assertion that, generally speaking, success isn't about hard work. You may be one of those rare people with the right mix of aptitude and attitude necessary to achieve success without working hard at it.

#44     Dec 14, 2005
  5. I didn't read all the posts so excuse if this was mentioned.....

Why not when you triple your account let's say take 2/3 out and move it to a safer investment, say a money market. Then you are back to starting outing with what you came in with. It sounds like you are good at taking a small account large, but can't take a large account to the extreme size, so stick to what you do well.

I know a couple of pro traders and they do exactly that.

Ask yourself, do I change emotionally and psychologically when y account has gone up x? I think alot of traders do. I did several years ago when I first traded. I took 10k to 66k and then to negative 6k before I took a mental sabatical. Honestly at 66k I thought, key word, that I was a trading genuis, beg beg, lol. I thought my account would go up to 200k. Obviously I was very wrong.

Best of luck to you.

#45     Dec 14, 2005
  6. doesn't anyone see what's going on here? Look at the years of this traders fabulous returns. 1999. 2003. My mailman was a millionaire in 1999. Not kidding--

The markets went basically straight up those years. Combine that with the leverage that trading options gives you and its easy to make money. Buy calls, let expire, repeat.

Unfortuantely for this gentleman, he has a major hard-on for market action. Could be worse- drugs, booze, sports gambling, etc.-. However, I highly doubt this gentleman is much of a trader. I'm willing to bet he made all of his money on the long side and lost it when stocks stopped going up.

As far as being exhausted from those long 12 hour days, what do you think your hours will be as a trader? Those that think that trading is work from 9:30-4, won't last very long. It seems very easy when markets go up. 150K for 60 hour work weeks? Sounds like a deal to me....

Good luck.

#46     Dec 15, 2005
  7. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

good post

#47     Dec 16, 2005
  8. nlslax

nlslax

Excellent Post!!! Classic...

#48     Dec 16, 2005
  9. Better still, learn how to trade, then you don't need money management hullabaloo at all.
    MM can't help you win. MM is only helpful to stretch out the time till you're broke. If you can't control yourself, better get it over with quickly.
    :cool:

#49     Dec 17, 2005