Blaring, obnoxious call to prayer five times daily. . .

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TGregg, Aug 3, 2010.

1. I am guessing that it may be considered "disturbing the peace" if it were recited as loud as the call to prayer at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. But, as the azan has been a part of their religion from the get go, suppressing it could be an infringement of the first amendment whereas someone reciting the 10 commandments over a loudspeaker is not. c'mon, church bells on a Sunday morning can be irritating to someone who is not waking up for church. same basic thing, though the bells began several hundred years after the start of Christianity.

#21     Aug 5, 2010
  2. the guy broke the law, which states that a person cannot approach within eight feet of another without their consent within 50 feet of any health care facility "for the purpose of passing a leaflet or handbill to, displaying a sign to, or engaging in oral protest, education or counseling."
    it had nothing to do with his being a Christian or praying, per se, it's just that christians are most likely to be the ones harrassing people going into abortion clinics. i don't write the laws and don't agree with a lot of them but as those that do write the laws hold as one of their primary intentions to keep violence/death to a minimum, they came up with this. pro-lifers are known to get a bit rambunctious. it seems to be along the lines of drug laws, which supposedly protect us from ourselves as well as if one gets strung out, destitute and desperate, they are more likely to mug someone. besides, i don't recall them ever arresting the guy that would carry his 8 foot wooden cross around the streets of Daytona Beach during spring break preaching the gospel but hey, the times they are a changin':D

#22     Aug 5, 2010
  3. Freedom of religion should be respected. But at the same time the Muslim community should show some sensitivity. Which they are clearly not interested in displaying.

A mosque at ground zero will be the worst move the Muslim community has ever made in the USA. There will be repercussions for this move. And just imagine if some radical happens to come up and out of that particular mosque...oh boy.

#23     Aug 5, 2010