Blade Shadow PC for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DevBru, Mar 21, 2019.

1. DevBru

DevBru

Anyone here heard about Shadow PC?
    For those who have not heard of it, here is some stuff to read:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/blade-shadow-the-last-gaming-pc
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/3/17645752/shadow-cloud-pc-blade-release-date-us-price

Basically you pay a monthly fee to stream a high end game pc to your screen, you can access it with almost everything (a very crappy PC, smart tv, smartphone, iPad, android box, ...), and play games on the highest settings without the need to buy a very expensive gaming PC.

What seems to be the best advantages are: No need to buy and update an expensive game PC, they do it for you. You can access it anywhere from every device.

Now for my personal case, i use a game PC which desperately needs to be updated to handle the last new releases in my home theater, a dedicated trading PC and a PS4 console in my living room.

With Shadow i could replace all my devices with just this one service and 2 android boxes or 2 shadow ghost's (140$ each). 1 for my office to trade from, 1 in my home theater and i can install the Shadow app on my TV in the living room. So, no more expensive PC's/desktops to buy/update and run (power savings are huge as well).

The service isn't cheap, however in my case i would replace 2 computers and a PS4 console, so then it seems much more reasonable.

Now i am wondering, would it be possible to trade with a service like Shadow PC?
    Wouldn't the latency kill me?

I have to stream the Shadow PC from their server to my screen, my screen has to communicate my actions/orders back to the Shadow servers and from there it will be send on through to the actual trading server/exchange. Shadow PC has a server fairly close to where i live (Brussels-Amsterdam) and it is also fairly close to Rithmic's nearest server (Amsterdam-Frankfurt).

One of the mayor downsides i can think of is the huge data consumption a setup like this would use.

What do you guy's think?

2. rb7

rb7

Isn't just a VPS service?

3. DevBru

DevBru

No, basically you pay a monthly fee to stream a high end gaming PC to your screen.
    The current setup they have is GTX 1080, Intel XEON, 12 GB RAM, 256 GB dedicated storage, 1GB/s download and 100 Mb/s upload, Windows 10. They continually update to better hardware if available.

All you need to access this is an internet connection with decent speed, so you make a connection to their server on your smartphone running their app, a 5 year old laptop/pc via their desktop app, your smart tv via the app, ... This way stream their high end pc to your screen.

Just like you would stream a movie from Netflix instead of needing the dvd/blu-ray and a dvd/blu-ray player.

4. rb7

rb7

Understood. But basically, it's a VPS service, specialized for gaming.

5. Overnight

Overnight

In my parochial mind, you should not need a gaming PC with all the latest bells and whistles to be able to trade. If you do, you might be a bit "extended" in your trading software?

Even located in Northern Europe, a simple tower with basic software should be able to supply your trading needs?

6. Nobert

Nobert

If he uses 30 sec candles or lesser ones, few screens etc, then it might be neccessary.

Some have dual 1080.

But still, in europe , we would have ping disadvantage (?), for such style of trading and plus connection time,
    between him and shadow provider.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I wouldn't think that the size of the candle matters, no matter your latency.

But in any case, adding another layer on top of your connection, via a third-party service, would not help your ability to get orders to your exchange faster.

The slowest link in your chain will be the slowest hop. So why add extra hops with the third-party, which in this case would be their streaming?

8. DevBru

DevBru

I do realize a gaming PC is not needed for trading, but as i have said it also is meant to replace my gaming PC in my home theatre, which obviously is used for ... gaming and streaming movies.

It is 1 service that can replace both my gaming PC, my dedicated trading PC and my gaming console in my living room.

All i need is this service and an android box or chromebook for example to be able to trade from a nice setup, play high end games in max setting both in my home theatre and my living room (and everywhere i have a decent internet connection).

It almost sounds to good to be true, i need to try this to see what the latency is. I have a 3 TB data cap with a download speed of 100/Mbs and 50/Mbps up, servers are reasonably close so i think it could work out.

9. Nobert

Nobert

I absolutely agree, that's what i ment as well.

10. DevBru

DevBru

I agree with this as well, i should have to test it to make a conclusion.
    If the latency isn't impacting my trading then it would be a very nice solution with loads of potential.

#10     Mar 22, 2019
    Nobert likes this.