Blackstone "partnership distribution"

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by adamchubb, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Blackstone (BX) pays "partnership distribution" (not dividends) on a quarterly basis. Just wonder is that taxed at the same rate as dividends? Does anyone know?

2. sss12

sss12

I'm too lazy to reiterate. Do a simple google search on BX distributions...lots of info...there are a few moving parts.

3. Sig

Sig

One important note on these, they can wreak havoc with a 401K or IRA if they're over something like $1,000 in a year. I know all the PE company listed stock has this issue.

4. sss12

sss12

Yes. If the UBTI portion of the dividend is over a certain amount it is taxed even though it is in a sheltered account. In addition many (if not all) brokers send the amount owed directly to the IRS from the account.

5. You mean charge you several hundred dollars for the privilege of preparing the 990T tax return for your IRA, and then sending the IRS a check from the IRA account.

I checked a few of those K1 samples and there are over a dozen 20V entries showing different sources of UBTI. Getting above my pay grade, but that’s an issue on this one and it might be better in a taxable account if you want to own it.

sss12 likes this.
  6. Sig

Sig

That's the bottom line!

jys78 likes this.
  7. jys78

jys78

Cuz Stone Cold said so!