Blacks Worse Off Under Obama & Since CRA64

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Oct 13, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Barack Obama's election win in 2008 was hailed by some as ushering in a post-racial age in the US. However, recent books and surveys have shown that black American progress has often either halted or declined.

From increasing segregation in the workplace, to hundreds of thousands of young black men in prison, to stuttering levels of black voting and a black middle class sent into reverse by the recession, the election of America's first black president – and his fight to win a second term – seem to have had little impact on any of this.

Some of the most shocking revelations are detailed in a new book called Invisible Men by sociology professor Becky Pettit from the University of Washington. Pettit realised that many surveys conducted by government agencies exclude people in the prison population from their research and findings. When Pettit added them in, she found that it dramatically altered the picture of the status of black America, as the number of black Americans in jail is disproportionately high. About half of the 2.3 million people in US prisons are black.

The results of Pettit's work, some argue, have exploded what she calls "the myth of black progress" since the civil rights era of the 1960s.

"This work dispels the notion that we live in a post-racial society. It not only deconstructs the myth of black progress, but also the myth of American progress overall," said Inimai Chettiar, a director at the Brennan Centre for Justice at New York University's school of law.

For example, adding the prison population to the voting statistics shows that black voter turnout in 2008 – believed to have been a historic high as Obama was elected – was overestimated by 13%. A greater percentage of young black high school dropouts turned out to vote in the 1980 election, when Jimmy Carter lost to Ronald Reagan, than when Obama beat John McCain in 2008.

When prisoners are included, the employment rate for young black men who have dropped out of school sinks from an already low 42% to 26%. Far from advancing over the past half-century since Martin Luther King championed the civil rights struggle, the picture being painted is one of troubled decline. "We have developed a distorted view of how black Americans are faring in our society," Pettit said. The reason given for this in Pettit's work is the high rate of incarceration of black Americans. The rate is so steep that government estimates suggest that eventually one in three of all black male adults will spend some time in prison if current trends continue.

More
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/13/barack-obama-presidency-black-people

2. Nobody cares, especially black obama bots.

3. Mav88

Mav88

It's never their own fault, never held to any standards, therefore it will never end as long as liberals have any hold on power and the black people don't change their culture.

4. There was this vice president of a bank back when cra64 became law. I only mention vp because the person had credibility. So the bank hired some brothers and sisters. The brothers and sistas asked "Where's the radio"?

Well we know how this is going to wind up. They want a radio and want to listen to what music they want to listen to.

"You know I can't work without a radio." Now how in the fuck would anyone know that?

Ever see/hear a brother and sista listen to the radio. Head bobbin and weavin, gum snappin, a "oh yea".

Now I suppose we need a radio policy down at the bank and a gum chewing policy and a noise policy.

all this Snappin and weavin, ya need water. No drinks allowed. "Now, you know I need my drink" No I did not fuckin know that.

stay tuned.........while the banks moved to the burbs.....sans radio.

5. I guess that proves Obama doesn't like the niggers.