Blackberry or IPHONE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freewilly, Oct 19, 2008.

1. pclark

pclark

I'm and IT guy. The Blackberry's interface\software sucks unless your company has their backend servers. The email client is NOT on the phone. You have to have their serves poll your email for you. Internet is not fast and the browser is not even close to being compatible w/industry standard web browser functionality.

The Iphone is the most user friendly and feature rich phone on the market. Others are trying to replicate it but no one has come close. I spend a large part of my week setting up phones for people at my company and I have used almost all of them. I have an Iphone. Here are the benefits.

1. Supports IMAP and POP email as well as Exchange Server.

2. The abilit to tilt the phone when browsing is great. Also you can resize web pages w/your hands.

3. Hundreds of Applications available at next to nothing in price. Bloomberg has an app, as well as Ameritrade and there are other stock related applications.

4. You can download movies, songs and podcasts to listen to or watch on an airplane.

5. Carry pictures w/you.

6. Text messaging is quick and very intuitive.

7. Most all of the newer cars have an IPod/Iphone interface so you can plug it in and access it directly from your stereo sysytem.

Apple has the cash and momentum to pull other vendors on board.

We had 7 people at my company switch from a Blackberry to an Iphone once they tried it. Everyone else is just buying the phone.

The 3G network is one of if not the fastest mobile internet connctions you can get.

At $200 the Iphone is a steal.

Is that enough reasons???????

#11     Oct 21, 2008
  2. Syprik

Syprik

For those that frequently type long, fast emails with large thumbs, iPhone definitely hurts in this arena. Qwerty type keypads are a must. Was in similar dilemma earlier this year as OP, but have decided to forgo replacing my BB 8810 World Edition with a newer 3g, and purchase a highly portable laptop with 3g uplink.

#12     Oct 21, 2008
  3. why doesnt someone just come out with a small plug in keyboard for the Iphone, wouldnt that solve a lot of problems?

#13     Oct 21, 2008
  4. pclark

pclark

I thought the same thing when I first got it coming from a Palm but once you get used to it it works great. The keyboard layout is Qwerty it's just not tactile. I will say if you have REALLY large hands it's probably not a good fit but if you have average to smaller hands it works good once you get used to not feeling the keys.

#14     Oct 21, 2008
  5. mxjones

mxjones

This is simply not true. I used a BB for years, and can type much faster on the iPhone. It is a QWERTY keypad, just on the screen. And you can put it in landscape mode with a download if you need it bigger. The footprint for the keyboard in that case is bigger than any BB on the market.

#15     Oct 21, 2008
  6. wucah

wucah

PocketChange is this easy to setup? HTC is a brand of phone right? Any windows media 6.0 phone will do?

I am assuiming you have to allow windows to accept remote desktop features. Do you happen to have quick link to set it up?

Thanks

#16     Oct 21, 2008
  7. HTC makes decent phones... AT&T Tilt, Google Phone, Tmobile Wing etc. We use Wings with tmobile hotspot... 802.11 is much faster than mobile internet access (gprs). Iphones are workable too with 3rd party RDP clients.

It's not to bad to setup... Google RDP for setup instructions / hacks etc.... biggest issue is having rdp in your vista version (included with premium... home requires hacks)

A decent universal RDP solution is: RDMplus:

http://www.rdmplus.com

Free: Windows Mobile 6 RDP: WM6RDP.cab

You can download directly to your phone from here: https://www.kckenterprises.com/WM6RDP.cab

Basic instructions to setup desktop , router and phone:
    Right click on 'my computer' (from desktop or from start menu)Select 'properties', click box under 'Remote Desktop'

If your computer is behind a router, go in its settings under 'applications & gaming' or something similiar to allow applications specialized access in the 'port range forward' setting,
    "remote 3389 3389 Both 192.168.x.x x"

For IP address, be sure you indicate the LOCAL IP (192.xxx) address of your host computer, 'save settings'

On your phone, load up the WM6 RDP application, under 'Computer' type in the public IP address of your computer's location address (NOT the 192.168.x.x)

Type in your 'user name', and 'password' of the ACCOUNT you use to login to your computer, then hit 'connect'...that's it.

RDP, VNC, GotoPC or any remote control solution should work.

#17     Oct 21, 2008
  8. Syprik

Syprik

Did you miss the part: "large thumbs"? I spent nearly 3 weeks with an iPhone when it first came out, absolutely could not type fast and accurate after much practice in landscape. My thumbs were too wide & flat shaped, and had to eventually break down and return the phone. From what a local APPL rep told me, this is an issue for those with large finger tips, and an unfortunate one because I truly love the interface. You can get away with this on a smaller realestate qwerty because it requires tactile pressure to trigger and no where near as sensitive as touchscreen. My lady with smaller fingers loves her 3g and can type just as fast as I do on my BB.

#18     Oct 21, 2008
  9. pclark

pclark

Iphone has 2 or 3 RDP applications out right now and one is free. They also have telnet and TN5250 applications as well available.

#19     Oct 21, 2008
  10. KK70

KK70

I had a look at Blackberrys and Nokias last weekend. Accessing the internet is VERY cumbersome on them IMHO, a strain on both eyes and fingers.

I found the IPhone easiest to use.

Has anyone placed trades using a smartphone? What have your experiences been? Log-in problems, order hang issues etc?

Thanks !!

#20     Dec 30, 2008