Black Tuesday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bond_trad3r, Jul 3, 2010.

1. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100630-714410.html

NYSE Sets Circuit-Breaker Thresholds For 3rd Quarter

The New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday set the circuit-breaker thresholds for the third quarter.

The exchange first implemented the circuit breakers in the wake of the market's crash in October 1987. In 1998, the NYSE set the triggers at 10%, 20% and 30% declines in the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the three levels of halts. The 10% threshold was nearly breached last month during the flash crash, but no trading stoppage would have occurred because of the time of the day it occurred.

For the third quarter, a so-called level 1 halt will stop trading for an hour if the Dow falls 1,000 points before 2 p.m. ET, or for 30 minutes if triggered between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.

A second-level halt, in the event of a 2,050-point drop, will last for two hours if it happens before 1 p.m., one hour if in the next hour, or for the rest of the day if after 2 p.m.

Finally, trading will end for the rest of the day, regardless of timing, if the DJIA falls 3,050 points.

-By Kathy Shwiff, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2357; Kathy.Shwiff@dowjones.com

2. NoDoji

NoDoji

... to allow the longs time to get to the bridge they're going to jump off of, and the shorts to get to the airport for their unplanned vacation to Fiji, before rush hour.

3. Gee, I thought this thread is forecasting a crash on Tuesday. Instead, it talks about circuit breakers ?

4. BSAM

BSAM

That's what I'm talking about. But, stand by...one or two of those threads could easily show up before the markets reopen.

5. TGregg

TGregg

:)

6. :eek:

7. Hello

Hello

:)

8. I think we will see a level 1 circuit breaker on Tuesday. :)

9. Everyone is on vacation including most of Europe - there will be such low volume that I doubt much of anything happens Tuesday.

10. low volume... all the more reason for the machines to take over.

[​IMG]

#10     Jul 4, 2010