Black Swan Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Joab, May 12, 2007.

1. Joab

Joab

"What we call here a Black Swan is an event with the following three attributes

"First, it is an outlier, as it lies outside the realm of regular expectations, because nothing in the past can convincingly point to its possibility. Second, it carries an extreme impact. Third, in spite of its outlier status, human nature makes us concoct explanations for its occurrence after the fact, making it explainable and predictable."

- Nicholas Nassim Taleb

I thought I would start this thread to discuss the concepts that Taleb addresses in his new book.

The premise is simple, buy way out of the money options looking for homeruns.

Personally I like the ideal of 100:1 risk to return trading because I can get 95 trades wrong and 1 right and still make money.

So let's begin this discussion.

btw, I'm off to the book store today to get the book and I will be reading it this week.

2. ok, here is the next Black Swan event -

taking into account that the markets have factored in to a large degree a terrorist event or catastrophe any way -

It will be an alien landing with aggressive intent!

You heard it here first...

3. danoXP

danoXP

A strategy of buying lottery tickets ... with positive expected value ... unfortunately, sometimes we just don't live that long ;)

4. Joab

Joab

Ha !

If an alien technology can make it to Earth with a aggressive intent it wont matter because our grade school technology will not stand a chance.

5. Yes, I agree, but. What if there are only a few of the aliens so the threat is confined to trailer parks etc but the initial shock sends the market down.

6. iprph90

iprph90

the only thing the markets have "factored" in a large way is liquidity:::D

7. Joab

Joab

They will probably only want to do anal probs at that stage of the invasion. :p

8. Very good. The most unexpected thing for a Blacks Swan if there is no water to land on! :)

You can buy all the options you want, when a real BS come by you won't be able to trade them. Maybe a day or 2 later.

Ursa..

9. doublea

doublea

So if we see S&P at 2000 by 2008, will that be considered a Black swan?

10. Ah, maybe then the world will be saved by billybob and tommyjoesue etc cos the military will have been given time to come up with counter measures and repel the Alien Analists, ergo the markets rebound large...

#10     May 12, 2007