Black Swan Hedging

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by TazTheLaz, Dec 26, 2021.

VXX Calls or SPY Puts

1. SPY Puts

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. VXX Calls

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Other- Comment below

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. #31     Dec 27, 2021
  2. Overnight

Overnight

#32     Dec 27, 2021
  3. Poljot

Poljot

Here is another idea: exit longs when the price crosses 100 weeks MA.
    This would save one from dotcom crash, 2008 crash and covid crash.
    Then enter back in after price moves back above 100 MA.
    In addition you have cash ready for bargain purchases.

#33     Dec 29, 2021
    shuraver likes this.
  4. TazTheLaz

TazTheLaz

What about false alarms?

#34     Jan 2, 2022
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

Yeah, I glanced at a chart. Lots of whipsaws in years like 2011 and 2015 where the market had 15-20% corrections with many ups and downs. In one week, out the other until the trend is clear.

#35     Jan 4, 2022
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

60/40 is great if the bond and stock markets repeat their 40+ year bull runs. But historically that hasn't always happened. In fact, it's been quite the anomaly.

#36     Jan 4, 2022
  7. @TazTheLaz A few months ago I created a DIY version of what I think Taleb may have done based on Malcom Gladwell's NYer article. I use optionsamurai ($40/mo.) weekly to scan "long puts" of various tickers (not VIX/SP500) that have ten cent/nickel "asks" with expirations week-of or next-week that would be profitable if the underlying fell -40% or less. Only takes a second to scan.

I then filter/sort those Excel results and use Etrade to buy a handful of options (Taleb was buying truckloads). These puts are cheaper and will fall along with the indexes in the event of a crash, IMO focusing on SPY/VIX puts are expensive and unlikely the whole index will be pulled down as much as a basket of individual stocks. I focus on puts because we have a long portfolio (retirement, stocks) thus I dont scan calls, but you could.

More than a hedge this is meant to be cost effective risk-mitigation that raises your wealth - Taleb just wrote that about his partner's new book (Mark Spitznagel).

#37     Jan 11, 2022
  8. Poljot

Poljot

There will be ones, but less often then if following daily moving averages.
    If you wait too long for new trend confirmation, exit price will get worse and may end up panic selling.

#38     Jan 19, 2022