Black Monday: Nuclear Meltdown in Japan

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bond_trad3r, Mar 12, 2011.

1. d08

d08

Typical American drama / overreaction. The level-headed calm approach taken by Japanese is very refreshing.

#21     Mar 12, 2011
  2. I loved your remark about Christy Whitman.

You are right about down-playing the nuclear event initially. But there is always some journalist who’s idle speculation about a politician’s remark that will spark the news debates over how bad the nuclear fall-out will really be.

From then on it’s a circus in the morning papers to the evening news as speculation builds as expert after expert is paraded before our noses telling us dooms day scenarios about where this fall-out will land and how to protect yourself and your children.

This is how media works today. Get the ratings or sell the copy of the rag. Then later deal with the ethics of the panic they instill in many of us.

#22     Mar 12, 2011
  3. afto

afto

Worst case scenario of a nuclear meltdown is possible but unlikely. Even so, any cloud of radioactive material that makes its way over the Pacific will have an extremely negligible effect on people, land and livestock. Remember, that radioactivity is all around us - its not the bugaboo that the media sensationalizes it to be.

#23     Mar 12, 2011
  4. AK100

AK100

Level headed calm doesn't sell.

American news TV is all about money, not the hard facts, they often get in the way...........

#24     Mar 12, 2011
  5. #25     Mar 12, 2011
  6. ?

#26     Mar 12, 2011
  7. Kanzei

Kanzei

I think the American media are downplaying the event.

If you don't like 24/7 news and repetition of the most important story, don't watch 24/7 news. But what they are actually saying in their coverage, especially on CNN, is very low key considering the actual danger from those 5 nuclear plants, 2 of which are clearly melting down and out of control.

#27     Mar 12, 2011
  8. lol and wtf deemed you an expert?

#28     Mar 12, 2011
  9. He's not he's a dipshit.

From what I've heard. Right now they are trying to maintain core cooling using the onsite de-mineralized water. If for some reason they cannot maintain cooling using the internal loop most plants have emergency cooling connections to an alternate source (the river/bay) in which they are connected. These stations are usually outfitted with a Standby Liquid Control system which inject Sodium Pentaborate (a neutron absorber) to poison the core killing all reactions. Either of the two options mentioned would essentially permanently shut down the plant as the contamination on the Nuclear Steam System would be irreparable. These are the next options and will be used as a last resort and will stop the reaction and maintain cooling.

#29     Mar 12, 2011
  10. It looks like it was a hydrogen explosion on the generator cooling system, actually looking at the explosion video I noticed two things no white steam cloud and no black smoke, both would have indicated steam circuit or transformer oil etc.

The explosion was clean i.e. hydrogen oxygen mix.

The trouble they have is I can imagine that most of the control systems, electrics for pumps are f&^$ed. Nukes have fail safe designs .....but not for total control system electric power destruction.

They need to get cooling water into containment area and spent fuel pond soon.

#30     Mar 12, 2011