Black Monday - December 31, 2012

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bond_trad3r, Dec 30, 2012.

1. you don't know until tomorrow. its hard to say anything but the drop was not pretty friday at the end.

#41     Dec 30, 2012
  2. Fifty cents in CL is like twelve pips in EURUSD.

#42     Dec 30, 2012
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah but convert that into happy meals and tell me what you get. TELL ME! :)

#43     Dec 30, 2012
  4. Are we starting to drift down??:D

#44     Dec 30, 2012

5. CL can shoot up or down 3+ points in a matter of minutes. With no stop in place, care to share how you "repair" your trade and still guarantee a profit 99% of the time when your position goes 3 points against you that quickly?

#45     Dec 31, 2012
  6. mm19

mm19

here is one example of dax, real trade I took with 100 pips stop.

How would you repair this one ? Down straight line 1400 pips.

??????

#46     Dec 31, 2012
  7. deucy28

deucy28

Disregard. I just woke up before then. Must have been a dream, and the language was different, too.

That was a strange one.

minies... DOW, S&P, and NASDAQ futures are off now, though, 4 1/2 hrs before mkt opens/

English mkt off a third per cent; French off a half per cent.

#47     Dec 31, 2012
  8. hajimow

hajimow

I don't follow that index but let me give you one example. I was shorting ES as a hedge to my other positions and then covring it with one or two points. Then about 10 ago when I shorted at 1422.5 (December contract) it started to go up and and it went to 1450 (I don't remember exactly the highest point). At some point it dropped to 1424 but I did not cover with almost two points loss. I was selling covered PUts and then covering them with profit so by then my average was not 1421.5 anymore. On Thursday Dec 20 (the night of expiry) I rolled over the contract to the next month and a few hours later ES dropped to 1391 and I covered my short at 1415 with profit.
    Here are the tricks:
    When you know something will go down 100%, don't put 100% of your moeny on that trade. Most of the times your 100% does not really mean 100%. Go slow and then if it goes against you average down and cover the portions that you are making money.
    When you do a trade, do you 500% research and don't assume that stop loss will save your ass as a sugar daddy. make damn sure that you are doing a good trade and once you break it you won it.

Another example: I shorted MCD from 87.80 and it kept going up to 91 and since I was convinced that it will go down, I sold covered PUTs for 87.5 and collected some premium for a few weeks and then on Friday I covered all my shorts at 87.80. My average was 88.52. By the way I believe MCD downtrend is almsot over and I will think about a good entry point.

I said CL will drop 50 cents before the market open I was right. This is called vision. You get that vision after staring at the tck by tick price for 17 years. Not a good return for 17 years of your life.
    I predicted market will be flat on Monday (today). So far I am right. Do I make mistakes and go wrong? Yes but I repair my trades. Stop loss is chinese torture.

#48     Dec 31, 2012
  9. hajimow

hajimow

By the way I put an order to sell CL at market just a few seconds after the market opened at 90.51 and my oprder to cover was 90.01 and it just went through. I makde my $500 minus about $4.5 commission. My reasons to short CL were so obvious:
    1- CL rallied from 86 to 91 in a few days and on Friday it stalled so I was expecting a pullback.
    2- Fiscal cliff no deal means recession to US and will drag oil price down.

You see trading is easy. You call it trade it trade in noise? I don't care.

#49     Dec 31, 2012
  10. hajimow

hajimow

Watch this video. This might help. Watch it 7 times with 100% attention and then watch from 5:00 to 7:00 (14 times). See what he says about stop loss.
    Let me also correct myself. Stupid trades cannot be repaired. Good wise trades always give you many chances to repair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afbBm7B1o0w

#50     Dec 31, 2012