black friday

Discussion in 'Trading' started by empee, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I bought small today at day's end and am thinking about buying small to medium tomorrow, particularly if it plunges on open and retraces some in afternoon. Still haven't committed my big nut but some of these directional options plays are starting to look really really interesting.

I think some of this is hurricane related BTW.

#11     Oct 20, 2005
  2. Hurricane Refco?

#12     Oct 21, 2005
  3. The SPX continues to hold last Thursday's low.
    Today's strength is impressive given that it is a Friday after a huge previous day's plunge.

A close above last Friday's WEEKLY CLOSE of 1186.57 would be constructive for the Bulls heading into next week.

#13     Oct 21, 2005
  4. dang..

knew I should have went long on that black friday call

#14     Oct 21, 2005
  5. Huge plunge ? Where were you in 2000/2001/2002/2003 ?

#15     Oct 21, 2005
  6. empee

empee

well so far we rejected 10200, lets see how we close, if its a hammer I'll close out my short, typical no follow thru consolidation :)

Just when it looks like its going to breakdown it rejects, and breakouts the same way :0

At least if we can get a sideways market you can play individual stocks that rally

#16     Oct 21, 2005
  7. empee

empee

i ended up covering maybe it will open higher, I'll probably short NQ's as a laggard to dow, out +209 pts

#17     Oct 21, 2005
  8. Wow, you went ALL the way back to 2000 ???
    You must be a real veteran!
    :D

Try the crash in 1987.
    I was a floor trader trading stock-index futures back then in NYC for my own account.

#18     Oct 21, 2005
  9. It's not a question of crash. It's just a kind of reference. Amazing how people consider that what would have been a normal day some years ago is a huge plunge now...

#19     Oct 21, 2005
  10. Hamlet

Hamlet

That kind of market was the exception not the norm. I't doesn't matter what kind of vol. the mkt had 4 or 6 years ago. It's relatively to the current environment is much more relevant.

Case in point is the VIX. You can look at it's peak of last week and argue that it was very low relative to 2000. That of course would be flawed logic.

#20     Oct 21, 2005