Black Friday PC Deals (Help Me Choose)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Nov 17, 2011.

1. For 999 you can build something yourself with 3x the computing capacity

#11     Nov 18, 2011
  2. Boomer

Boomer

What is 3x faster than that setup? I'm sure you can increase speed in certain areas, but "3x" seems a bit much?

#12     Nov 18, 2011
  3. Boomer:

One of the issues I ran into when I shopped around for new desktops a year ago was that many of the desktops designed for the commons lack expandability. Most of what I had seen carry only 1 PCIe X16 slot. As if you would never need to use the computer for anything, hardware-wise, other than what they configured for you. Many times, this one and only available PCIe X16 slot is even occupied already by something put in by the box makers. May be a video card. May be a 5.1 sound card. May be a second network card. Etc..

With that, the issue is: if you run up to 2 monitors you will probably be fine. When you want to hook up a third monitor or more... you will face some challenges. Dual-video PCIe X16 cards are cheap. But if you buy a quad-video PCIe X16 card, it can get expensive. (As it can be $400+ for the video card).

While you can get around it with some USB-to-DVI/VGA adapters (and I do that)... it may not be as good as having a video card sitting on the motherboard.

Just something to think about since you mentioned you want to add a third (or more) monitor in the future.

#13     Nov 20, 2011
  4. Boomer

Boomer

Thanks for the insight Bolimomo...that is helpful

#14     Nov 20, 2011
  5. LEAPup

LEAPup

Boomer, I agree with Bolimomo. If you want to run 3 monitors (and you will), make sure the setup will accept the card you need to get the job done. In addition, scat may advise you to look at the dell outlet. He finds some steals there.

Last, you're not exactly trading slow markets. Have you considered spending just a little more and getting quite a bit more speed for the money?

Let us know what you find. Maybe newegg will throw some ibuypower setups out there for black friday.

#15     Nov 20, 2011
  6. get a 27" imac + 27" mac display.

#16     Nov 20, 2011
  7. Boomer

Boomer

I have signed up for the Dell email newsletter, in hopes of coupons...I am leaning to going the Dell Outlet Workstation route with a T3500 of some kind.

Just wondering how often Dell sends out coupons, and if they apply to Outlet purchases? If so, I will just wait around on a coupon to come out...

#17     Nov 20, 2011
  8. Dell coupons for Outlet workstation desktops... seems like only 1-2 times per year.

#18     Nov 20, 2011
  9. Froglet

Froglet

Get the best your money can get you. Seriously, even an E MACHINE can do the job. Trading isn't about your hardware like you might believe. A trillion monitors is nothing but show.

You are better off w/ a fast connection as oppossed to a fast processor.

Most retail guys over trade and it's because of this.

I personally trade off a laptop and 27 inch monitor extension. I'd like to get 2-3 MONITORS TOPS!!!!!!!!!

I don't try to beat the computer, and I execute my trades when I'm on there. When I'm exposed, I just set my stops and watch. I don't stare at level 2 or Time & Sales like they train you to do. lolz

#19     Nov 22, 2011
  10. Wal-Mart has some $250 dual core AMD laptops if anyone needs one for surfing, kids, grandma, etc. Seems to be half price or better.

#20     Nov 22, 2011