Black Friday: Americans shop like there is no tomorrow

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Nov 30, 2008.

1. bgp

bgp

randumb ? credit cardssss !:confused:

bgp

#11     Nov 30, 2008
  2. On the TV here in europe they said you guys were broke.

How can this be?

#12     Nov 30, 2008
  3. Applies only to US Federal and local governments, banks, auto manufacturers, airlines, insurers, major retailers, home builders, and housing et al. Only sometimes is Iceland considered part of Scandinavia.

#13     Nov 30, 2008
  4. looks like the government type of reporting numbers with them being revised down

Dec. 29 (UPDATE)-- U.S. holiday retail sales for "Black Friday" were revised sharply lower, research firm ShopTracker Corp. said today. Data shows that sales on the day after Thanksgiving actually dropped an astonishing 8%, contrary to the initial made-up figure showing a 3 percent gain announced on November 29. It is the the biggest drop for a “Black Friday” since 1932, the research firm said.

“The situation looks dire,” said Ned Johnson, president of a retail consulting firm based in Youngstown, Ohio. “These are numbers I have never seen in my four plus years of tracking consumer action. The question is, when will the tapped out, debt-to-their eyeballs consumer actually start purchasing items like 72-inch plasma television sets with money they don't have” in this “apocalyptic” economic environment, Johnson said.

#14     Nov 30, 2008
  5. Stores selling 'loss leading' electronics and other goods on the biggest shopping day of the year will not save them.

You will see the results of the period of time when private equity loading up retailer balance sheets with massive debt soon - the hens will come home to roost in early 2009 as more major retailers file BK.

So much capacity, stagnant consumer pool with less money to spend, and the slimmest margins in decades spells G-R-I-N-C-H

#15     Nov 30, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

Possibilities...

1. Charging purchases against anticipated stimulus checks to be coming in a couple of months.

2. Charging "while they still can" with the anticipation of seeking "debt relief" or filing for bankruptcy.

3. The sales were sooooo good, shoppers made a big effort to buy "everything" on Black Friday, thus cannibalizing sales from later in the season.

#16     Nov 30, 2008
  7. Someone else posted this on a blog I read. It's a fake story. It wasn't on the wire anywhere, and I think (judging by the date) was meant to be a joke.

#17     Nov 30, 2008
  8. The date didn't give it away?

#18     Nov 30, 2008
  9. MrDODGE, it gave it away to me, but some others on that blog were reacting to it like it was real, so I thought I'd point out it was fake just in case.

#19     Nov 30, 2008
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

...and I thought I was good at predicting! :)

By the way, movies always do good in bad economic times, people use them as escapism from reality....

Maybe the American consumer said: fuck it, we are going down, I might as well enjoy it!

#20     Nov 30, 2008