black culture

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sublime-scalper, Jan 23, 2007.

1. It would? Hmm... well, of course I had to ad lib since the post was deleted, but the line above was definitely the opening line of your post. Like I said we could ask Baron if it still exists somewhere. I do recall a few other quotes, but they're fading.

Bottom line is that it turns out that you're a genius. You will be among the 10 or 15 smartest people in a group of 100,000. If there are 60,000 members here, that means you are likely one of the 10 smartest people on the board.

As a genius, I believe that what you have to say should be heard. I also believe that your inability to compose a sentence in English, which I presume is your native tongue, should be viewed through the filter of this astounding Stanford-Binet score of 154.

I am just trying to figure out whether this actually puts you in the 'high genius' category, but I think you have to be over 175 for that.

#31     Jan 24, 2007
  2. So you're also a member Mensa, the high-IQ society. I guess you wouldn't have had much of a problem meeting the 98th percentile requirement with your test scores!

Oh, by the way... 154 on the Stanford-Binet definitely puts you above 99.975%. I do believe that you don't spend your time making sure you have the exact figures.

No, I have never been to a Mensa meeting, nor am I a member. My IQ would be too low, I'm sure. It doesn't surprise me that there is a lot of swearing going on at the Mensa meeting, to be honest.

I wouldn't say that no one makes any inferences as a result of your language deficits, but certainly there are some on here who despise the notion that there is any correlation between intellectual impairment and far right views. It isn't something I gave much thought to until I got on these boards.

#32     Jan 24, 2007
  3. obviously logic isn't your strongest cognitive ability.... implicit in this statement is the assumption that the 60k members here have iqs which mirror that of the tested population at large, i would disagree with that assertion...

inability?? apathy perhaps?? as i have previously explained... ET is not my primary ( or in your case most likely ONLY ) social outlet, thus...im not entirely concerned whether or not my grammar is flawless, you see, i really don't care, so long as communication is achieved, and the majority of participants understand my statments on a conceptual level, spellng and grammar are inconsequential

#33     Jan 24, 2007
  4. as for the test... yes 154 with my strongest performance being in pattern recognition which was virtually perfect, followed by logic, which was nearly perfect... my weakest area was in the visual component of spatial reasoning...although it was also above average...

also, as i previously mentioned, i test exceptionally well, which is one characteristic which has contributed immensely to my success as a trader...

far right? where the fuck did you come up with that??? thats one hell of an assumption... i don't believe in these just add water ideologies a la 'right' and 'left' etc. i believe they handicap the mind and impair rational thought... and in many ways i lean heavily toward what most would consider 'left', thus invalidating any assumption based assertion you were trying to make....

strike 2...

#34     Jan 24, 2007
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Dude---Did a black person kick your ass sometime in your life or what???

#35     Jan 24, 2007
  6. The implication that the population of ET members is analogous to a random sample was intentional. I might have believed, when I first got here, that the ET population would show a significant deviation, but I am convinced that the membership here would not test out any higher, on average, than a random sample. Perhaps you're right, a few points, but nothing really significant.

So let's say that among 60K ET members, you, with your IQ in the 99.98th percentile of the human population (2 in 10,000) would be among the 20 smartest people who ever registered here, assuming that the mean here is somewhere above 100. Again, that is an absolutely astounding result - you have to just stop and think about that one for a second. 20 out of 60,000... a remarkable result.

Once again, there is no getting around it - 154 on the Stanford-Binet means that you're a genius.

With regard to your difficulties with the language, I have no idea how these problems came about, but I do believe that in the majority of cases it is not because of any innate deficit but a lack of opportunity, i.e. bad education. Certain individuals will be unable to master the finer points of grammar but I grew up on Chomsky's UG so you can see where I'm coming from with that :)

In your case it is altogether possible that your problems are rooted in apathy, as you suggest.

#36     Jan 24, 2007
  7. Your ability to test well has contributed to your success as a trader, as opposed to the aptitudes that underpin your good test scores?? I would have thought it was the genius level pattern recognition that contributed to your success, something which is obviously independent of an 'ability to test well'. An individual could be the greatest pattern recognition savant in history and yet test badly because of whatever reason (excessive nerves, or much more likely, reading deficits which impair test scores).

Hmmm... not sure I can say I understand that one, but hey, you're the genius around here.

#37     Jan 24, 2007
  8. Is there a correlation between poor spelling and "high intelligence"?
    Sorry to butt in, I'm just curious. It is just that I run into a lot of kids who have flunked school because of poor spelling who claim they are members of the High I.Q Society and other douchebag organisations.:confused:

#38     Jan 24, 2007
  9. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

Question: If a Black resident in what would be Milton county was in favor of splitting the county, would his motive be race also?

This is the last comment from me, beating and dead horse come to mind. Remember white people. It's not our place to comment on these trends, we are required only to fund the after-math.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_re_us/atlanta_split

By DOUG GROSS, Associated Press Writer
    Tue Jan 23, 2:27 PM ET

ATLANTA - A potentially explosive dispute in the City Too Busy to Hate is taking shape over a proposal to break Fulton County in two and split off Atlanta's predominantly white, affluent suburbs to the north from some of the metropolitan area's poorest, black neighborhoods.

Legislation that would allow the suburbs to form their own county, to be called Milton County, was introduced by members of the Georgia Legislature's Republican majority earlier this month.

Supporters say it is a quest for more responsive government in a county with a population greater than that of six states. Opponents say the measure is racially motivated and will pit white against black, rich against poor.

"If it gets to the floor, there will be blood on the walls," warned state Sen. Vincent Fort, an Atlanta Democrat and member of the Legislative Black Caucus who bitterly opposes the plan. Fort added: As much as you would like to think it's not racial, it's difficult to draw any other conclusion."

The legislation calls for amending the Georgia Constitution to allow the return of Milton County, which succumbed to financial troubles during the Depression and was folded into Fulton County in 1932.

The former Milton County is now mostly white and Republican and one of the most affluent areas in the nation. Atlanta and its southern suburbs are mostly black, are controlled by Democrats and have neighborhoods with some of the highest poverty rates in America. (Buckhead, a fashionable Atlanta neighborhood of clubs, restaurants and mansions, would remain in Fulton County.)

"The only way to fix Fulton County is to dismantle Fulton County," said state Rep. Jan Jones, the plan's chief sponsor. "It's too large, and certainly too dysfunctional, to truly be considered local government."

Jones, a former marketing executive who lives in the Fulton suburb of Alpharetta, cited the county's troubled library and public transit systems and a jail that was taken over by a federal judge because it was filthy and unsafe. He denied the move is racially motivated.

Don Petree, the 62-year-old owner of Don's Hairstyling in Roswell, another northern Fulton suburb, said many of his customers "feel like they're not being taken care of like they should be with the tax dollars they're spending. I think there's some truth to that."

Milton County would have a population of about 300,000, instantly making it Georgia's fifth-largest county.

Residents of north Fulton represent 29 percent of the county's population of 915,000 but pay 42 percent of its property taxes, according to a local taxpayers group. A split would lead to the loss of $193 million in property taxes alone for Fulton County.

About 25 miles to the south in downtown Atlanta, the Rev. J. Allen Milner said he is afraid the tax revenue loss would have a devastating effect on those who need government help the most.

"If you take that money out of their coffers, human services will suffer greatly," said Milner, a black man who runs a homeless mission and is pastor of the Chapel of Christian Love Church.

Critics of a split also worry about the future of Grady Memorial Hospital and the Atlanta area's MARTA commuter-rail system — both of which have contracts with the county.

In addition, some warn that a breakup of Fulton could harm Atlanta's international reputation as a progressive city and hurt its appeal as a business, entertainment and convention destination.

While other Southern cities erupted in violence a generation ago, Atlanta came through the civil rights movement with little strife, earning the nickname The City Too Busy to Hate. It is now home to one of the nation's largest black middle-class communities.

"This would send a clear messages to companies around the country that Atlanta may not be as progressive as it would like people to think," Fort said.

The measure would require the support of two-thirds of both the House and Senate. Then it would have to put to a statewide vote. Also, residents of what would become Milton County would have to endorse the plan.

While Republicans have majorities in both chambers, they would need to win over three Democrats in the Senate and 14 in the House to get it passed.

The legislation has support from some of the Legislature's key leaders. Republican House Speaker Glenn Richardson has referred to his top lieutenant, Rep. Mark Burkhalter, as "the member from Milton County."

#39     Jan 24, 2007
  10. lar

lar

----------------------
    I'm confused. Do nik and lar think that things are just great with blacks? If so, that will be news to a lot of liberals and blacks who make their living in the professional grievance industry. Or is it that it is somehow out of bounds for "others" to comment on the obvious dysfunctionality of a significant part of the black community?
    ------------------------

Of course I don't think things are just great with blacks! How does the line of thought go all the way from not agreeing that "blacks suck" to me believing that "things are just great with blacks". Excuse the pun but things are rarely as white or as black as that. Like most of the universe, there is more grey.

What I am saying is all cultures have things about them that are terrific and some things that suck. Neither define the whole culture the way the premise of this (and the last thread on this topic) thread does to blacks.

Jim Crow is alive and well in the form of belief systems which both blacks and whites have bought into...

... as evidenced by some of the selective and ingrained thought presented here.

#40     Jan 24, 2007