Black Box Systems

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by mscherbert, Mar 19, 2002.

1. What about a white box system, where you put in the algorithms you want, and you put in the stocks that you want to trade. I know that in low volatility market it is tough. If we ever get back the days on NYSE like a few years ago, when market would rip 5% in a single month, this system could become very valuable. Again you can create algorithms based on your own trading techniques and instead of trading 4 stocks trade 40 stocks? Sure the quality will not be the same, but if you are over all profitable then why not do it?

#21     Mar 22, 2002
  2. Predictor,

The best "White Box" systems I have seen were arbitrage type techniques that were written in C++ or VB and put on API . I
    can't go into detail, but the traders made out very well. There are
    many trading systems that could be automated , but it is much harder to do than it looks.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., L.L.C.
    gweissman@stockttrade.net

#22     Mar 22, 2002
  3. Hi Gene! I know what you mean, I'm trying to automate my strategies right now. Some days the automation does much, much better than I do. Other days automation is a bit behind, but in a few months I hope to get it fine tune it!

#23     Mar 22, 2002
  4. it's taken me much longer than I like to admit to get my automated systems to a place where they actually work consistently. E.g one of my once better systems suddenly began deteriorating at the begining of the year and has lost money since. Just have to watch them in action and adapt.

#24     Mar 23, 2002