Black box, hosted at Genesis?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by david levy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I am interested in setting up something that seems to be less common, which is a hosted black box. The software is custom, not Laser.

I was hoping to find someone who has swam these waters. I would very much appreciate some insight.

Thank you.

2. Are you asking about hosted server at Genesis in particular or in general?

I haven't done it at Genesis but done quite a few with other firms. Here's a few things to look out for:

1. Network environment. What type of network will the server be on? Are you required to setup a SSL pipe? How will you remotely connect, upload, update, etc. etc.?

2. Market Info stuff like Protocol. Will the orders be sent via custom socket message? FIX? API? How will you be receiving market data to run the black box? FIX? API? Third-party?

3. Third person intervention. If the server crashes for any reason, how will you coordinate with the onsite personnel? If "YOUR" connection drops or crashes during a critical time period, how will you manage the server? Basically, you have to setup restrictions for the 3rd party intervention.

4. Combining all of the above, what will the application used to run the blackbox? You will want to program your trading / execution engine so that it reflects your setup.

5. Doesn't matter how well you program. Problems on the application level occur especially with real-time apps. You have to set contingencies for these too. You wouldn't want some glitchy message, breaking down your app. making it send millions of orders at once. (And it can stall the server, making it unaccessible remotely)

There are others but the above, covers the basics.

3. Thank you for the thoughts. The effort is much appreciated, but my questions are specific to Genesis.