Black Box Disasters

Discussion in 'Trading' started by areyoukidding?, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Heh, this type of stuff happens often. The friday before labor day weekend, the volume was very thin, one blackbox I see tries to induce volume. With pretty much all the index arb and hedgers asleep, systems can easily pickoff the order book induce system, as it tries to flat out its position, pretty funny.

I didn't make that much money, as the volume was very thin (a few hands here and there and picked off a few ticks), but on review the data flow, it was very funny as the counter-party system doesn't have the usual book sizes to hide their orders.

#21     Oct 5, 2005
  2. Ricter

Ricter

The book on the keyboard reminded me of the classic "janitor effect" from engineering, lol.

Anyone else recall the janitor effect?

#22     Oct 5, 2005
  3. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

you mean the timein 95 when lehman bros in london lost their shirt after the janitor unplugged their sun starfire1000 server ups thinking the plug was for her vacume cleaner? lol

ouch!!

i dont know what was running on the server but i heard it cost them!!

#23     Oct 5, 2005
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Hehe, janitor effect... he leans his mop against the wall and goes for a leak. The handle slides and falls, tripping a critical switch on the reactor cooling panel...

#24     Oct 6, 2005
  5. mechanical systems are self-defeating in proportion to their complexity.

#25     Oct 6, 2005
  6. yeah. like someone didn't pay him to do it...

#26     Oct 6, 2005
  7. mahras2

mahras2

I wouldnt say so. If simple was the way to go, everyone and their uncles would be making money. But sadly they aren't.

And I was talking about risk parameters. Having risk parameters that take effect during adverse times by providing for example a possible downside floor, is not adding complexity to the system but making it more comprehensive.

#27     Oct 6, 2005
  8. The examples in this thread show that any automated system should have a built in fail-safe that reduces total exposure if net loses exceed a predetermined figure within a set period.

Runningbear

#28     Oct 7, 2005
  9. Don't use any black boxes (or boxes of any other color).

Try to only use computer automated solutions that work.

nononsense

#29     Oct 7, 2005
  10. Cluster Capital Management LLC :D

#30     Oct 7, 2005