Bizzare - and if you believe it, most think you are a crackpot

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Mercor

Mercor

Why not trade hooked up to a polygraph machine. Just another squiggly line to watch. How do you Fib sweat?

#31     May 9, 2010
  2. I read about something similar a few years ago. Some research had cause this scientist to consider that things are manifest first then recognized. That some people recognize it earlier than others. We are talking about split seconds.

I got to thinking that maybe when athletes are in the zone they are just turning into what has already happened just a little earlier than normal.

#32     May 10, 2010
  3. Imagine a man goes to a multi screen movie theater and selects something to see between two choices. He regrets his choice. On the other hand, each movie gets out at different times. Had the man selected the other movie, he would have gotten in an auto accident on his way home. He thought he had only made a choice between two movies. But actually, he had subconsciously made a choice not to get in a car accident.

Why does anyone make a choice like this? It has to do with a primeval sense of guilt - or lack thereof - in each one's mind, and in the collective minds generally. Each mind punishes itself in proportion to the guilt it believes in. The man had been practicing forgiveness, and had significantly reduced the sense of guilt in his mind. Guilt is punished by built-in self-sabotage mechanisms. Guilt reduction programs short circuit various scenes and scenarios that the self-sabotage mechanisms have already set up. This means the future is scripted, and therefore predictable. Scripts are mainly altered by the practice of forgiveness. It's everyone's best defense until invulnerability is restored.

#33     May 10, 2010
  4. This reminds me of Georges Soros, who supposedly gets lower backpain when he's in a wrong trade.
    Didn't Linda B. Ratschke write an article about monitoring your nervousness etc when in a trade?

#34     May 10, 2010
  5. #35     May 10, 2010
  6. Cambist

Cambist

Stop giving this poster any credit. A simple copy/paste from the book "Blink" does not warrant him any praise.

Pathetic that Nutmeg doesn't credit the author.

#36     May 10, 2010
  7. olias

olias

James Randi is awesome. Everyone ought to read and listen to him and draw their own conclusions

#37     May 10, 2010
  8. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I have been studying this phenomenon professionally for many years. I have a lot of fascinating results in this area. I have even designed a trading platform that helps traders to enhance their intuition skills. It is the most fascinating subject and up to this day (when I am not in the hospital and feel good enough to work) I dedicate majority of my time to studying this subject from the mathematical psychology stand point of view.

#38     May 10, 2010
  9. I thought I could predict the future. I dreamt that BIDU went to $90 today, but it didn't. I bought a call at the open. It went up then down. Now I'm losing money :(

#39     May 13, 2010
  10. Considering that it is proven that time and space are related.

For our purposes this means (as you all probably know) the closer one gets to the speed of light, the further in the future one gets, relatively speaking.
    Albert Einstein showed back in his day with his special theory of relativity, time slows down for objects moving close to the speed of light, at least from the viewpoint of a stationary observer. You want to visit the earth 1,000 years from now? Just travel to a star 500 light-years away and return, going both ways at 99.995% the speed of light. When you return, the earth will be 1,000 years older, but you'll have aged only 10 years. Of course traveling that fast is currently impossible BUT this theory is proven and to give a realistic example you could use astronaut Story Musgrave, who helped repair the Hubble Space Telescope, spent 53.4 days in orbit. He is thus more than a millisecond younger than he would have been if he had stayed home. The effect is small, because he traveled very slowly relative to the speed of light, but it's real.

Now consider that relative to the Earth we are currently sitting still (at least I am right now in front of my computer) BUT if you change the frame of reference and consider that the Earth rotates once every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4.09053 seconds, called the sidereal period, and its circumference is roughly 40,075 kilometers. Thus, the surface of the earth at the equator moves at a speed of 460 meters per second--or roughly 1,000 miles per hour.

The earth is moving about our sun in a very nearly circular orbit. It covers this route at a speed of nearly 30 kilometers per second, or 67,000 miles per hour. In addition, our solar system--Earth and all--whirls around the center of our galaxy at some 220 kilometers per second, or 490,000 miles per hour. As we consider increasingly large size scales, the speeds involved become absolutely huge!

The galaxies in our neighborhood are also rushing at a speed of nearly 1,000 kilometers per second towards a structure called the Great Attractor, a region of space roughly 150 million light-years (one light year is about six trillion miles) away from us. This Great Attractor, having a mass 100 quadrillion times greater than our sun and span of 500 million light-years, is made of both the visible matter that we can see along with the so-called dark matter that we cannot see.

I could start getting into quantum physics but I just realized that I'm getting a little long-winded here so to get to the point.......this is a complex world that we know very little about....so anything is possible.

#40     May 15, 2010