Bizarre Matrox Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjt, Jun 23, 2001.

1. I just ordered a matrox dual head millenium g450, will be here tomorrow will try to install and let you guys know what's up. You guys got me a bit scared, maybe should off went with Appian.

#11     Jun 24, 2001
  2. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Appian have very good reputation so it would be OK to go with them I am sure.

I have a Matrox Dual Head and it fully satisfies me. Setup is a little awkward, but not that bad. And once configured properly this is great. I have 2 screens with 2 different resolutions and color depth, they act as one desktop. You can drag windows on both screen or enlarged them in panoramic view or tile the screen as you wish.

You certainly won't regret your Matrox. And for the setup, I will help you too. I read mjt's thread a little too late to help earlier. [I did set up Matrox with 98, NT and now 2000. it's not that difficult!].

vpiNeo

#12     Jun 24, 2001
  3. Tnteo thanks so much, I really appreciate your input, I'm not that great with computers, but I did install win 2000 on my computer I heard it would be better for 2 monitors, due to some limitations of win NT. I'm just concerned with what you said regarding one desktop??? Will that mean that I will have a huge resolution? Or could I set them up separatelly at say 1024 by 768? My main concern is that I could save all the windows in both monitors, and the next time I bring up the program it will be just like I saved it. I know in NT that would not be possible, they would open up on one of the monitors, but Win 2000 it supposed to be ok. Thanks again so much.

#13     Jun 24, 2001
  4. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

That's what 'one desktop' means. It is a bit counter intuitive. But it works like you want it.
    Most programs do remember where they used to be. So next time you start them, they will open window on either monitor one or two depending on last location you used them.

Each monitor is really a separate space AND a joint space at the same time. So you can drag windows from one monitor to the other one. Your mouse can freely go from one to the other one too.

And each monitor can use different resolutions and number of colors. They don't need to be the same brand and/or quality [frequency acceptable etc..].

Just follow precisely installation instruction, reboot when you are asked to, read all the messages and don't rush. When the drivers are installed properly it works like a charm.

Make sure you use Win2000 drivers only. This should be detected automatically because it won't accept winNT or win98 drivers anyway.

vpiNeo

PS : mjt ? still having difficulties or everything fine ?

#14     Jun 24, 2001
  5. mjt,

It's very important that you get the latest drivers! The WHQL drivers will not allow you to set resolution independently (and WHQL is very likely what is installed on your system)

When you've installed the latest drivers you need to enable "dualHead" and then also select "Extend desktop to 2nd monitor".

#15     Jun 24, 2001
  6. mjt

mjt

Still having problems. When I go to 'multi dispay settings' under 'dual head' my only option is where to position my second monitor in relation to my first. I don't see 'separate resolutions and color palettes for both displays.'

Also, I can't find display properties in Win 2000. Anyone know where it is?

I went to the website to look for the new driver, and I found it, but it says I need to first remove my old driver in add/remove programs. I have an icon for Matrox Graphics Software in add/remove programs; is that what I'm supposed to remove? I don't want to remove this if it contains more than just drivers.

BTW does Matrox have good tech support? I'd like to get this resolved over the weekend, but I have a feeling I'll be on the phone with them on Monday.

#16     Jun 24, 2001
  7. mjt

mjt

OK, problem solved! Actually, I had an Appian adapter in my old computer, so I took it out and replaced the Matrox. I'll probably use the Matrox for my old computer, in which case I'll run into the same problem more than likely. But I'll deal with that later.

Thanks for the help everyone!

#17     Jun 24, 2001
  8. Babak

Babak

go to the matrox site and then enter the messageboard. It is monitored by Matrox techies and you will have an answer before you know it.

(you'll have to register for the messageboard to get a password)

#18     Jun 24, 2001
  9. I'm so pissed off that I ordered the matrox card, should off went with appian. Oh well no turning back now, unless can not install it. Hoping for the best.

#19     Jun 24, 2001
  10. I was wondering what is the correct file I need to download for the drivers, there is more than one of them on their website???

Thank you

#20     Jun 24, 2001