Bizarre Matrox Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjt, Jun 23, 2001.

1. mjt

mjt

I just bought a computer with a pre-installed Matrox G450 Millennium dual monitor display adapter. I hooked it up to a couple monitors, and it worked fine. I then hooked it up to the two monitors that I will be using on this computer. I could only get a display on one monitor. I made every futile attempt I could think of to fix it. The only thing that produces a display on the second monitor is if the screen area is set to 1600 by 600 pixels. If I change it to any other resolution, it's like I don't even have a second monitor. The mouse pointer won't move outside of the first monitor.

Anyone seen this before?

2. tymjr

tymjr

Is the display on the first monitor 1600x600? Some cards only allow identical resolution settings.

3. mjt

mjt

No.

4. tymjr

tymjr

Oh.

5. mjt

mjt

The first monitor is 1600X600 right now, because otherwise I don't get a display on monitor #2. When I'm changing the resolution, I'm doing it for both monitors simultaneously (I assume) There's no option to change just one monitor.

Something else is strange here. When I click on display--settings, there's only one monitor pictured. It says underneath "default monitor (not 'monitors', plural) on Matrox Millennium G450 Dual Head." If I remember correctly, when you go to this same place with an Appian adapter, there are multiple monitors displayed in the picture, not just one. Also, when I check my devices, there's only one monitor listed. I tried to add a new monitor, but when I go to add a new device, 'monitors' is not one of the choices, even though my monitor is listed under 'devices.' Which leads me to believe that my system somehow thinks I only have one monitor, but if that's the case, I don't see how I can get my second monitor working with a certain resolution setting.

6. tymjr

tymjr

Just running through the basics here. I assume the “Extend my desktop…” is checked underneath your Color settings. Are you running 2K or 98? You may have already been here but if not;

http://www.matrox.com/mga/dualhead/faqs.cfm

7. LelandC

LelandC

What operating system are you running? Windows 2000? I think that under Windows 2000 the operating system recognizes your monitors as one big monitor so if you want to run each monitor at a resolution of 1024 x 768 you would have to run the resolution at 2048 x 1536. Basically Windows will only recognize you as having one big monitor.

Leland

8. mjt

mjt

tymjr

I'm running Win 2000. I don't see 'extend my desktop' anywhere. I'm looking at 'color management.' Is that where I'm supposed to be looking?

9. tymjr

tymjr

I am actually referring to Display Properties > Settings and the small check box just below your Colors pulldown menu. It sounds like you are in the Advanced settings. I am not currently running 2K and I have forgotten if the Display Properties > Settings is identical to 98.

10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

mjt
    Under win2000, make sure you installed the newest matrox driver. older drivers won't work.
    If installed, in display properties you will see tabs for matrox. one is Dual Head. Make sure Dual Head multi display is selected [by default it is not!].

Click also in the same tab on the button multi display setting : select 'separate resolutions and color palettes for both displays'.

When you boot, make sure both displays are connected and switched on [because of plug and play monitor detection, this is very important].

also check that you can run in dual head mode with such a high resolution. it is possible, but I am not sure [I have an older G400 dual head].

vpiNeo

#10     Jun 24, 2001