Bitcoin thread anyone?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by COB, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hoi

Hoi

No. The amount is fixed for ever (it's a very important property: rarity, makes something of usefulness: valuable).

Secondly: there is no "the organizers" (as if there would be one central decision point). Bitcoin is per definition a Decentralized organization, with every member (Miners) having a right to vote on every change in protocol (you need more than 50% of votes).
    So "no doubt giving themselves a healthy amount too" is out of the question !!

#801     Feb 12, 2014
  2. Humpy

Humpy

Thanks for your opinion. Just for argument's sake the BC went up to incredible values which it could and 50+% of the miners decide to reward themselves on say a 1 for 1 scrip issue then is there anything to stop them ?

#802     Feb 12, 2014
  3. Hoi

Hoi

I don't fully understand your example.

You should understand that Miners are pretty "Hard core" (for them the ideology of Satoshi's White-paper, is like a Bible). Each change of the core-protocol will be to the benefit of the protocol, and a better protocol will be good for Bitcoin as well as everyone holding and using it.
    Further: you can become a Miner as well (just as I Mine as well).

#803     Feb 12, 2014
  4. Hoi

Hoi

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

They don't have to, they already did! There are over a million early mined coins that never been moved and belongs to either 1 or a few individuals.

But anyhow, Humpy, what most bitcoiners fail to tell you when they mention rarity that is a bullshit feature. It is irrelevant if bitcoin is rare, if there are other very similar or EVEN BETTER digital currencies available.

Just like with every successful invention, there are already copycats and some of them are getting a much better headstart than what bitgoin got. No doubt, it is because bitcoin was the trailblazer, but this is still irrelevant for the end result. The bottomline is, that it takes only a few hours coding to alter the code of the bitcoin protocol and create a so called alt coin. And there you have a brand new currency, sometimes with new features and definiately with more coins.

The second most succesfull alt coin is Litecoin, will have 84 million coins, and it has already a decent valuation and it is 2 years ahead of bitcoin, as adoption and price go.

There have been more than 200 alt coins created in the last 3 years, and sure, most of them will go the way of the dodo, but a few will stay.

How many different credit card groups are there? Around 4. So we can expect to have at least 3-4 quite popular alt coins too. Just think about this: If you are a vendor accepting bitcoins, you might as well accept litecoin too....

TL;DR: Alt coins are NOT RARE....

#805     Feb 12, 2014
  6. Options aren't touted as currencies.

#806     Feb 12, 2014
  7. Anyone see what happened to MTGOX?

#807     Feb 12, 2014
  8. A little late to the party aren't you? Its like on 9/14/01 asking "Anyone see what happened to the twin towers?"

:p

#808     Feb 12, 2014
  9. ktmtrader

ktmtrader

My goodness! There were a couple kids on here 10 years ago giving away the keys to the kingdom and I assume none of the seasoned traders on here took it.

#809     May 6, 2020
    SteveM likes this.
  10. johnarb

johnarb

Too much negativity here. They're scoffing at bitcoin for not being able to go to $1M each, as if it would be a complete failure if it were to go to its previous high of $20K, heck it hit mid $3K a month and a half ago and instead of looking to buy some at discounted prices, the fools in here were calling for bitcoin to hit $1K and lower, smh.

I don't think bitcoin will hit $1M, but I'll be very happy if it goes back to $20K or higher.

#810     May 7, 2020