Bitcoin thread anyone?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by COB, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Yeah I think thats the best bet, a lot of people have money in it and there was hardly anything to buy last time i looked in to it. Sometimes buying over inflated items or crap is was the only thing to do with the money.

#31     Jun 12, 2011
  2. This is all about a stateless, anonymous, internet currency.

It was said of Wikileaks: "It's not a unique business. It's a demonstration of an internet capability." And sure enough, openleaks, brusselsleaks, indoleaks, etc., have recently opened shop

Now, established giants offer a service for leaks. Al Jazeera, The Wall Street Journal (with a few hiccups along the way), etc., are involved.

Bitcoins are a demonstration of an internet capability, in the same way that Wikileaks is.

And like Wikileaks competitors, Amazoncoins are probably somewhere in our future. Altair was the first personal computer, but it's long gone. In 5 years, Bitcoins will probably be the answer to a trivia question, as players with greater reach and resources fulfill the promise of an internet currency.

#32     Jun 13, 2011
  3. Cliffs Notes on what this is?

#33     Jun 13, 2011
  4. From my understanding it is a digital form of currency of some sorts.

There should be a limited amount of bit coins available to buy.

Maybe they add a bit of currency (I'm not 100% sure).

Since there is a limited supply, if interest grows then so should price.

There is a small selection of things you can buy with it.

money can be exchanged from one user to another (i believe no fees as indicated in OP)

It is some how very hard to crack in to the system (i think formation or code is stored on multiple users computers.)

It is the same idea as buying a commodity except its supply doesn't increase.

Investors/speculators seem to play a big part in the amount of coins held. This in turn, I believe has caused the drop in price as people may have got impatient and started dumping. It should level off where actual users of it want the price to be.

It can be funded in cash by meeting a coin broker.(who i think can sell at any price, leaving room for his profit) so you may have different people selling at different prices.

I'm not sure if you can coins directly for bit coin.

It is volatile as it is new and finding it's trend. I'd say give it 2 more big price movements before it levels off.

Like mentioned, the idea can be duplicated and this might cause people using bit coin to go to another type of digital currency. IF there are multiple digital currencies on this scale it will take even longer for price to stable.

It is like tulips or gold at its infancy. But since there is nothing actually holding the price up (a product like gold) it is the purest form of price and demand. Not skewed due to mining problems govmnt policy ect. Also its limited quantity really shows us the raw tendencies of price and demand.

It interesting, but its week point is competition from other potential digital currencies.

If you would like to compare its chart or try to understand how such a raw currency trends. At this early on in the stage it would be better to see how LINDEN dollars (second life currency) reacted. I would imagine it would be the same as every non backed currency should have a similar pattern.

Though it should be noted that purchasers of linden dollars maybe very different then users of bitcoin, then again there must be investors in both.

Thats what I gather but im not a pro at this. It is an interesting chart to watch and I believe the we can learn a lot from the chart that may be applicable to TA.

It is a system based on price and demand, and it should have a pattern emerge as everything has a pattern or trend

Thats my 2 bit coins. I never owned any and probably wont for a long time. But will not be surprised if people make money off it.

#34     Jun 13, 2011
  5. Maybe my info isn't as precise as it should be. Look at this instead

About Bitcoin

Bitcoin is the first digital currency to be distributed and was created by Satoshi Nakamoto

Bitcoin is based on entirely open source software
    Decentralized to ensure security and freedom of use
    Encryption provides basic security functions, like ensuring that bitcoins can only be spent by the person who owns them and never more than once

No bank is required for bitcoin distribution–anyone can?? create??, buy, sell or accept bitcoins as a payment method for tangible or intangible goods and services

Bitcoin creation is called ‘mining’–the network creates and distributes a batch of new bitcoins approximately six times per hour at random to somebody running the software with the “generate coins” option selected

Miners offer competitive fees to facilitate bitcoin transactions, ensuring that transaction fees stay low

Anyone know how many bit coins are distributed per day and what the difference between a normal coin and the generate coins option" implies?

Does this generate option stay with the coin, which can have a lower value ?

And though it is not controlled by government, peoples use of it is. The idea that it may be illegal skews the chart.
    Being international, government policy may not have a huge impact on it.

Is this available in India and china?
    It may have a jump every time a new country accepts it.

#35     Jun 13, 2011
  6. Im liquidating everything to buy bitcoins.

See you when Im a billionaire

#36     Jun 13, 2011
  7. There is no "Satoshi Nakamoto". For all we know, this is a scam run by Islamic terrorists to help launder money.

#37     Jun 13, 2011
  8. LeeD

LeeD

from wikipedia:
    "Very little information exists about Satoshi.... Some have even suggested that Satoshi Nakamoto is not just a single person, but a group of people similar to the Anonymous group."

#38     Jun 13, 2011
  9. SSL, SSH, IPSec, your chipped MasterCard...all have a commonality with bitcoin math...would be ironic beyond belief if all this was nothing more than a grid computing attack on secure communications...

#39     Jun 13, 2011
  10. Both

#40     Jun 13, 2011