Bitcoin thread anyone?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by COB, Jun 8, 2011.

1. gnode

gnode

Actually you proved that you can't read.

For example, that graph shows the total ghash of all computers working on bitcoins. $1million, 833 top end computers, represents 1/8th of the productive capacity.

You are so wrong on your analysis it is laughable.

#91     Jun 16, 2011
  2. Does anyone have an answer as to what they are trying to solve?

#92     Jun 16, 2011
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Probably the encryption to your bitcoins wallet. :)

Seriously, nothing. If you just want to donate your free CPU time for a good cause, try this:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

#93     Jun 16, 2011
  4. They're trying to make money for themselves.

That's it.

#94     Jun 16, 2011
  5. I would not be surprised if the recent hacks including the one into sony was not the result of all this cpu power being mined.

#95     Jun 16, 2011
  6. you belieive this?

#96     Jun 16, 2011
  7. gnode

gnode

Except that bitcoin is open source.

Here is the source code:
    https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

I suspect that if it were behind the Sony hack, the FBI/NSA juuuuust might find that link, download the code, and -read- it to see if that is what it is doing.

#97     Jun 16, 2011
  8. Ok you clearly know more a ton about this then me. What exactly are the computations being done being used for?

#98     Jun 16, 2011
  9. gnode

gnode

In the simplest terms... it is figuring out/solving/discovering new bitcoins.

The best analogy I can think of is prime numbers. As you know, the larger you get in numbers the harder it is to find prime numbers.

Same deal with bitcoins. New bitcoins are literally discovered, similar to finding new bigger prime numbers.

Its like if Bernanke had to solve a rubik's cube to print new money. The rubiks cube itself has no inherent value... but just something that has to be done before new money is created.

#99     Jun 16, 2011
  10. It is kind of fun reading the bitcoin forum as price drops 20%. Such a naive crowd. And lol at them already starting namecoins so they have something else to mine. Give it a month and there will be 30 new "currencies".

#100     Jun 17, 2011