Bitcoin scores a ‘golden cross’ — and now everyone is bullish

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by johnarb, Apr 23, 2019.

1. johnarb

johnarb

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/b...-cross-and-now-everyone-is-bullish-2019-04-23

Once beaten down, bitcoin aficionados are growing louder by the day.

On Tuesday, the best-known digital currency surged through $5,500, trading at a five-month high and homing in on key resistance around $6,000. And as momentum picks up, a closely watched bullish indicator suggests further gains are in sight.

“The technical picture for [bitcoin] is looking increasingly bullish on the daily charts with the fabled bullish ‘golden cross’ slowly coming into play,” said Lukman Otunuga, research analyst in a Tuesday note.

A golden cross occurs when the 50-day moving average crosses above the longer-term 200-day moving average, an infrequent event where short-term momentum overtakes a broader longer-term trend. And in midmorning trade on Tuesday the bullish indicator was hit with the 50-day moving average at $4,489 and the 200-day at $4,478.

In most recent trade a single bitcoin BTCUSD, +4.02% fetched $5,576.99, up 3.6% since late on Monday. The digital currency has gained more than 70% since its cycle low in mid-December.

[​IMG]
    Bitcoin golden cross
    Read: Don’t look now, but bitcoin is showing signs of life

Adding to the growing sentiment, data compiled by DailyFX show retail traders are becoming more bullish. DailyFX said, 80.9% of retail traders are now long net-long bitcoin.

Additionally, their data shows retail traders are even more bullish some smaller digital currencies, or altcoins, with 97.7% of traders are net-long Ripple’s XRP coin, XRPUSD, -0.47% 92.1% net-long Ether ETHUSD, +0.23% and 92.2% are net-long Litecoin. LTCUSD, +0.18%

However, others say the turnaround goes beyond the fabled golden cross. “Bitcoin’s price is up almost 50% since the start of 2019. Instead of obsessing over the volatile price movements, it is important to stay focused on the underlying fundamentals of the transaction settlement network,” said Anthony Pompliano, founder and partner at Morgan Creek Digital, citing the improving hash rate — a measure of bitcoin miners performance — and the continued rise in transactions on the bitcoin blockchain.

“Those that have the patience and discipline to stick around will be rewarded handsomely,” he added.

But the crypto-resurgence has come too late for some. On Tuesday, The Wall Street Journal reported that SoftBank 9984, +0.31% founder Masayoshi Son lost $130 million on a personal bet on bitcoin. The WSJ said the investment came near the peak of bitcoin in late 2017.

2. dozu888

dozu888

whatever the consensus is from marketwatch.com, trading the opposite side has a 76.338% success rate, per my back test.

Cuddles and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  3. With bitcoin though is the other 23% that'll kill you

4. The breakout really happened late Feb/early March. I added some there for this next leg higher. How far will it go? Doubt it gets back to the bubble level but a move to $6000 - $8000 minimum is likely.

5. johnarb

johnarb

I've always mentioned that I'm usually holding less than 10 percent of my portfolio in bitcoin and recently have cut it down to less than 1 percent :D

I love bitcoin but my bags are filled with RVN and XTZ (Liquid Proof of Stake - no energy concerns :D:D )

6. dozu888

dozu888

check dailyfx sentiment... dumb money is at 2:8 short:long.. this thing can't possibly go up.

my pro boys never carry the dumb money to heaven..

7. destriero

destriero

Dozu, my 8yo can reduce fractions. Perhaps you could use her help.

vanzandt, johnarb and srinir like this.
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Went in on ltc at 30$. Hard on RVN, BEAM, and GRIN

johnarb likes this.
  9. maxinger

maxinger

Good try.
    Only the 'experts' say it is bullish.

Traders doubt it is bullish even if there is
    Golden cross or Silver cross or Bronze cross or Rusty cross,

don't use technical analysis blindly.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. dozu888

dozu888

Conventional technical analysis maybe one of the biggest jokes human beings play among themselves...pretty harmless joke though.

Another big joke is global warming... that one is harmful.

#10     Apr 23, 2019